How can I get my 5 year old to do her homework?

My dd is 5 and just started kindergarten monday!! She had homework last night writing her numbers 1-10 and she rufusedto even try to do it!! She said its too hard I can't and I told her lexia you can do this you are smart girl!! Well anyways my husband and I tried every way possible to try to get her to do it and she just would not do it. We wound up sitting there for 5 hours trying to get her to do it and she still refused. So we sent a note with her to school telling her teacher what happened and if there was anything that she knows we might could try to please let us know and that she could call us and we could set up a meeting if we neede to!! But I Thought I would ask and see if any of you moms have any advice for me or maybe something we could try to get her to do it!!? If so it would be very appriecated !! Thanks!!

brandy2186

Asked by brandy2186 at 10:20 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• A homeschool mom of twelve years for reasons like this, what does a kindergarten need to do homework for.This is suppose to be a time of adjustment into school please this is crazy. Seeing as how this is what is required of her let me share what I do when mine are don't wan to do what they have to there are a variety of options and you have to realize there was a period of time the child had to strictly obey, Not that it's a bad thing, but try making a game out of it, write five letters and do something special could be a bite of a snack. When children get to this point they can easily be frustrated. We can bargain it's OK do five letter than you can for this amount of time. I see no reason why a child should have to sit down and complete a task at this age in one sitting as long as it gets done. Email me if you want more specific ideas.
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 10:24 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Kids need more encouragement and inspiration than adults. (Nothing's better than running outside to play and escape. Sit beside your daughter and write a number and have her copy it. Then ask her what number that is. If she doesn't get it, just tell her and try again. Go to a craft shop and buy small pompoms and glue on giggly eyes. This makes super cool awards for getting answers right.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 10:36 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• We did sit beside her and write it down and have her copy it. and asked her what number it was and she knew the numbers !! she just wouldn't even try to write them she just says its to hard!!
    brandy2186

Answer by brandy2186 at 10:57 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Make sure that she knows she doesn't have to do it perfectly. Remind her that once she couldn't walk & would fall when she tried, but now can run. Don't know if she will care, but maybe she'll think about it. When my boys were small, I used a "special" calendar for them. Each day I would give them stickers to put on it. 1 for doing their chores, 1 for doing their homework, 1 for not fighting with each other. If they earned a certain number of stickers they got to a reward. I had daily rewards like playing a game with mom or dad, or reading a favorite story, & weekly rewards like going to the park, or maybe getting to pick a meal at their favorite fastfood place, or other reward. My boys only had television & video game privileges after homework, & we had a limit of 1 hr, but I bought some carnival tickets, & if they were caught doing something good, I'd hand them 1, each was worth an extra 15 min They could use or save them.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:19 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Send her to me!!! :-)hugs

KFinch88

Answer by KFinch88 at 12:50 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• spank her/ send her to her room. she will prob cry but you are the parent
    abshorn

Answer by abshorn at 2:08 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Since she has to do it make her go potty, then leave her at the table and tell her she is not getting down until it is done. DO NOT try to coax her. Homework is something that gets done like brushing your teeth and taking baths. It is not open for debate.

For every hour she takes to do this five minute assignment she looses an hour of TV time on Saturday. This "instant tradition" of not doing her homework will stop very quickly if you insist that she be responsible for her homework and she will do it or she will loose privileges. When she grad near the top of her class she will thank you and it would have been worth the effort now on your part.

mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 2:13 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Last year my daughter went to kindergarten and we had lots of homework to do. Friday's it was 20 pages (2 sided of 10 pages). What I did to help her do her homework is when I got home we sat down, she started the homework and I cooked dinner. We ate and then I would go over or help her with the homework. It takes a lot of patience for newbies to get into the routine of doing homework. Which is want you have a newbie kindergarter.what I did was read the instructions and asked my daughter is she knew what to do. When she said yes, I would then say, really show me.Encourage her to do it. Praise and if need be reward her.Once she gets into the routine she may enjoy doing the homework.Remember it's her homework and she will have to do the best by it. When it Friday came it was 3 days of doing homework, just to complete it. After homework she had less TV time, because they need 15 minutes of reading time also in kindergarten.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 3:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• abshorn: nice way to have even more problems with getting a child to do their homework. Spanking doesn't solve everything.

OP: Ask the teacher if he/she knows of anything you can do to help your child. She does NOT need to be spanked or yelled at. She is probably just overwhelmed with starting Kindergarten, getting used to being in school all day and doing homework. Try to make a game out of the homework, Set a timer for 15 minutes and tell her that if she gets her worksheet done before the bell goes off, she gets a treat or a sticker on a chart. Once she fills up a week or 2 of homework stickers she can pick a treat. A dollar store toy, ice cream, pick out a movie to rent. My son hated writing at that age and still does at 13 yrs old. Some kids just have trouble holding a pencil correctly or comfortably and have trouble writing. Google Handwriting without tears for more ideas.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:55 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I'm appalled by some of what I am seeing there is no reason a kindergartener should have to even do homework I would be in an uproar, happy homeschooler.
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 10:27 PM on Aug. 27, 2009