help with 2 year old

I babysit a just turned 2 year old and you have to tell him to do something like 100 times like when he is eatting you have to say eat eat eat after EVERY bite he will just sit there if you don't keep saying eat eat eat or when you put him at table with crayons and paper he will just sit there and not do nothing unless you say lets draw come on draw....playing with the toys same thing then he cries if you make him play with toys he would rather just sit on the floor and do nothing....he is 2 years old and prob says 6 words and you can barley understand them....but his mother said he trys to talk in sentences he just does baby talk no words what should i do should i talk to his mom or what should i say?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he could have a learning disability or his parents just didn't interact with him enough, i would say tell the mom to take the child to the doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• i agree, i'd want to know if there were something wrong. if she gets mad at you, dont take it personally, just know that you did the right thing, i'm sure your words will stay in her head and eventually mention it to his doctor.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 11:39 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• For the love of God. He is 2 years old. My two year old will not sit and do anything with crayons. He will just laugh and walk away. I think your expecting too much of a 2 year old. All of the stuff you mentioned might apply to a 3 year old but not to a 2 year old. I think you should be a little more patient.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• You should talk to his mom and yall should come up with a way to get him to interact. You are not expecting to much he should be doing these things without being encouraged. What 2yr old doesnt take a crayon and at least write on the walls or the table. Something maybe wrong but before you suggest a dr and upset anyone just exhaust all trying methods.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• It's pretty normal for a toddler to be more quiet and reserved around a babysitter than with their parents - which could explain why their hearing sentences out of him and your not.

Also parents who are around their kids throughout their language development usually can understand their half words and mispronounced words. For example my two year old will say "Mok" for "milk" and "sigh" for "outside." No one but me and my hubby who have constantly seen her make these sounds in context understand her.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 1:18 PM on Aug. 27, 2009