How do you get a house really clean?

I can honestly say that I was never taught how to get a house really clean. I can get the basics done but after that I kind of lost. Growing up our house was not clean, so to say how to get it that way now, I at a loss. Can someone please help me and give me ideas on how to do this. Thanks

mom7201262010

Asked by mom7201262010 at 10:42 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Vacume and Shampoo often, it even keeps the dust to a mininmum.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Merry maids
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• MAKE A ROUTINE AND STICK TO IT! MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS ORGANIZED,EVERY NIGHT BEFORE YOU GO TO BED PICK UP ALL THE TOYS AND OTHER THINGS THAT R LAYING AROUND AND PUT THEM WERE THEY GO ! ALSO IF YOU PUT SOMETHING BACK SO SOON AS YOU ARE DONE WITH IT ....YOUR HOUSE WILL STAY PRETTY CLEAN!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 12:44 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Check out Flylady!  She's got great ideas and tricks that work, small routines to implement so that you can keep your house clean with minimal effort!  The daily emails can be overwhelming but they help you start and keep your routines going.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:36 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I used to clean houses for a living and I have come across plenty of SAHM'S that did nothing so it was my job to start from the top to the bottom.
    Start with high dusting (no feather duster) use a swifter duster, they will catch alot of dust. Move everything around while you dust. Start with the living room/family room when you are finished there do side tables and end tables, legs and everything! move everything around as you vacum. take the hose off and vacum tight corners from the floor all the way up.
    Get your baseboards with a cloth sprayed with pledge. Windows with a spray bottle containing a few tablespoons of vinegar and fill with warm water. never do windows while the sun is shining through them. This causes streaks.
    vacum your halls ways and vacum the edges with the vacum hose. dust basbords with pledge.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:49 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• continued..
    kitchen... you should start with surfaces. Cleaning all cabinet doors, table and chair legs, top of appliances, the hood and vent. Vent filter should be soaked in hot soapy water then air dryed.
    after sweeping hand washing floors gets the best results.
    Bathroom...start with shower walls and all surfaces and hand dry for an extra shine. Toothbrushes come in handy for grout and if you have hard water or rust stains get a can of comet cleanser, make a paste and let sit on stains for a few minutes and rinse. White glossy cabinets in the bathroom or kitchen. spots can be removed useing white toothpaste. just rub on and rub off with clean cloth.. Clean all your mirrors with vinegar spray bottle and clean cloth.
    remember a deep clean involves washing down things like doors, cabinets, baseboards, mirrors,windows,spot cleaning walls for finger prints, light switches, dusting the trim around doors. vacum last
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Boy do I know how you feel! Been there, done that!. It took a long time to teach myself to clean. Now I have a rhythm and it works. I made a list of everything I could think of for cleaning (washing floors, walls, windowsills and door frames, clean baseboards, dust, wash windows, laundry, pick up toys, wash appliances, etc). I listed everything! Then I divided the list up into daily chores (dishes, washing appliances, sweeping, bathroom counters, etc), bi (or tri)-weekly chores (laundry, mopping, vacuuming, cleaning the toilets and tub, etc), weekly chores (windows, clean out refrigerator) and monthly chores (washing baseboards, door frames, walls, etc). Splitting it up made the list more managable. Set aside a time for cleaning and chores, everyday. I also take 1 day a week and devote it to cleaning (Friday), this is also the day I do my monthly chores (I have them divided into 4 groups, 1 group each week).
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 2:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• As my kids get older they are also helping more with the chores. They just took over washing the dishes (no dishwasher). They also sort their own laundry, fold it and put it away. They vacuum their room and the schoolroom (we homeschool). So it has taken a lot off my plate as far as cleaning. I spend half of my "cleaning day" (Friday) able to relax and enjoy my sparkling home. When my husband is home (he's in school in another state) he will sometimes help me out (but he prefers the yard work to the household stuff, LOL). Though he has been known to pick up a dishrag or a mop! LOL
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 2:21 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• First of all, I love how honestly you worded your question. I am in the same boat. Not making excuses, but I sometimes wish I was raised by a clean freak who forced us to do chores, so that cleaning would just be a natural thing. But I was not raised this way, sadly, so mess bothers me, but doesn't bother me...you know what I mean? So, I don't have advice, but I am benefiting from the answers as well! I have often heard of making routines and sticking to them no matter what. You will eventually get to a place where it is second nature. Just like brushing your teeth every day doesn't bother you, you know you just have to do it and it's not a chore. That's where I want to get with house work. Good luck to you!
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 5:44 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I agree!! Check out www.flylady.net!!! Baby steps.
    My3RaysofSun

Answer by My3RaysofSun at 9:54 AM on Aug. 28, 2009