I wasn't going to get my baby the chicken pox shot, but the doctor talked me into it.

Yesterday was the 1yr checkup and shots. The doctor said he will be getting Blah blah blah shots. I said "well do we have a choice on the chicken pox" Because chicken pox didn't seem like a big deal to me. He told me that the shot isn't really for the chicken pox, because that isn't really that bad, but it's to prevent it and the complications that can come from it. Like... a healthy adult can die from meningitis(or something like that) caused from chicken pox. So we got the shot. Of course my fiance doesn't know about all of the vaccine BS and when we left he said "I was about to be really pissed off if you didn't get him that shot"

Did I make a bad decision? Should I have siad no the the chicken pox shot? I know it's done and I can't change it, but I feel kind of.... weird about letting him talk me into this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well-personally, the chicken pox shot hasn't been proven to be all that effective. My son had it at 1 years old and they said that that was it. But-now they are giving boosters bc some kids are still getting chicken pox-just not to the same degree without the shot.

I **think** what your doctor might mean by complications later is shingles which is really painful and can happen to any of us who have had the chicken pox. They can cause chronic pain for some people-that is what he might be talking about.

I don't think you mad a "bad" decision-although-I do think that if you are really really against something-you need to learn how to hold your ground. If you don't want them to have a shot-stick to your guns.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• With that vax, pox is not as often as it used to be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I was worried about some of the vaccines when my boys were younger, but I was also afraid of doing the wrong thing if I didn't vaccinate them. I'm still not sure there is so much controversy. My oldest didn't have the chicken pox vaccine, and got the chicken pox at 6, I'd never gotten them, he was itchy and uncomfortable, but not very sick. I however was 25, had never had them and ended up very ill with the chicken pox. My younger two sons were vaccinated, but both of them still got mild cases of the chicken pox, the middle son actually got them twice. Neither of them seem to have had adverse affects from the vaccines, and both of them had much milder cases than their older brother....except that my middle son went through it twice.....

I'm sure your baby will be fine, and I know how difficult it is to sort out all of the information. I do try to trust my doctor, if I don't trust his advice, time for a new doctor.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:28 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• They didn't have it when my first was little. So he had them and bad! In his mouth, ears, butt crack...poor baby was covered in them, it was awful! He was only 2 so it was hard to keep him from picking at them. I got the vax for the other 4 of my kids. I would never want to have a kid go through that again. I am glad they have it. They are all fine!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:51 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I got my son vaccinated for chicken pox because I remember how miserable I was when I had them and if the shot makes them even not so bad, that's enough for me. I had them twice, once at 2 and again at about 7. I don't want my kids to be as sick as I was.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:56 AM on Aug. 27, 2009