11 1/2 month old DEMANDING boob

So I was working towords a weaning, and we were on a pretty set schedual of nursings but then recently my son learned how to pull down my shirt and scream until he gets a boob, it's so hard to say no! I try distracting him with solids or a sippy, but it's really bad and he's wanting to nurse every hour or two, most of the time just for a few minutes. what do I do!!!!

gypsymama532

Asked by gypsymama532 at 11:31 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do not let him feed tell your ready to. Make it so he can not get to your boobs. Push him away and say NO. Hand him a sippy cup and say "that's all your going to get right now". He will understant soon he is not going to get his way.

Answer by louise2 at 11:48 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Well I think pushing an 11 month old away is rather harsh. Wear your regular bras and shirts that can't be pulled down. (a turtleneck if you must). If he asks to nurse simply tell him "All Gone." Most kiddos understand that concept and it can be easily demonstrated if they don't. Offer a snack and cup and then DO NOT GIVE IN. No matter how hard he screams or cries. In fact if he screams and pulls on your shirt, leave the room. It takes a few days of screaming and crying, but you've got to let him know that it's done. Mommy milk is "all gone".
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:03 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• You trying to take something away will only make him want it more. He's fighting to keep what's rightfully his. He's very young to be weaning and weaning is very stressful on baby. What does anyone gain from hurting his feelings, making him cry and scream, and taking away the most nutritious food there is? Nothing. It's all pain with no gain. Don't push him. Weaning is best done on the child's accord or at least SLOWLY AND GENTLY. Occasionally distract and delay but don't lie. Teach him some nursing manners but be reasonable w/ your expectations. DO NOT RUSH.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:18 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Maybe he is going through a growth spurt or he feels he is not getting enough attention otherwise? I am curious as to why you are weaning. It is perfectly normal for an 11 month old to nurse on demand. Breastmilk should be his man nutrition for the first year.
    ronisaurus

Answer by ronisaurus at 8:38 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Breastmilk should be his man nutrition for the first year.
    True. It's supposed to be fed on demand as his primary source of nutrition for AT LEAST the first year.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:18 AM on Aug. 28, 2009