cell phones and kids? do you let them have one?

do you let your kids have a cell phone? my daughter is 11 and wants one, i told her no she is to young and we have a working house phone. well now her father is going to get one for after i already said no. there are to many kids with cell phones its nutts. worry about being a kid and have fun. do you let your kids have cell phone at this age? its different if a child is in high school and joins sports and all so they can call when they need a ride home or if out driving and needs help, thats different but for an 11 yr old she will be 12 soon but still dont need a cell phone. (jmo)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• i think when my DD is 16 she will get a pre paid cell phone and if she runs out of minutes tough luck your s.o.l till next month!
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 11:45 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• When ours are 16 and have a part time job to contribute to it then I don't have a problem with it. Before then I don't see any reason for one.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:49 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Want and get is two different things to me Or want and need. A 11 year old does not need a cell phone.

Answer by louise2 at 11:50 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Nope.

My oldest is 11, and we live out in the country (no local hangout or mall)... so he's never off by himself. He doesn't need one.

The only reason I see for tweens/teens having a cell phone is for emergencies.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:51 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• No, I don't think an eleven year old needs a cell phone. ONE exception....a family cell phone that could be taken to sleepovers or whatever, in case there was an emergency and they needed to call home....but not a cell phone that they get all the time on a regular basis. What does an eleven year old think they need a cell phone for?
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 12:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• We have a firefly phone (one of those ones that is preprogrammed with emergency numbers only) that we let the older kids take with them on excursions so that they can get in touch with us if they need to. I don't think they need anything other than that until they can foot the bill themselves.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:01 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Im the oddball so far. Our 9 year old ds has a Blackberry Curve. We got it for him for safety reasons. He has it on him when we go places (mall, Six Flags, grocery store, anytime we leave the house) in the event he ever gets seperated from us or something. (Not that he EVER leaves our sight but still you never know). It has all our phone numbers programmed into it as well as grandparents, other family members, emergency numbers, ect.
    At home it stays in our room, he doesnt have it for leisure.
    We just like that extra bit of security knowing that should he ever NEED it, he has it.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 12:03 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I work at an elementary school and I am seeing kids as young as first and second grade with cell phones! Drives me crazy.....I see no reason for anyone under the age of 16 to have a cell phone, and at that time it should be a prepaid phone and if you use all of your minutes before the month is done you are out of luck! The other alternative is a Firefly that only has 2-3 numbers in it in case of emergency. I tell my dd that I didn't have a cell phone until I was in my 20's so she can't have one either! :)
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 12:07 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• melinda.. i like that u take it away but gotta ask why such an expensive phone? i bought mine outright not during contract upgrade so i know what they cost lol and i know how kids are id get my LO a cheapie! lol so just curious why an expensive one
    peytonJJ27

Answer by peytonJJ27 at 12:20 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I just spoke to my mum about this very topic. My husband and I feel like with the start of middle school and with the actual school being so far away we will be getting her a pre-paid one for a few reasons and emergencies are one of them. However, her school day ends at 3:45 and my husband who will be picking her up from school because his job is not to far from the school (I work downtown so there's no way I can get her) and he can get off at 4:15 to pick her up we'll need to communicate with her in regards to where in the school she is or to let her know that dad is outside waiting for her so that she won't have to stand outside in the cold waiting for him. We had plans of letting this be one of her holiday gifts but the need for her to have one for these two main reasons has presented itself much ealier than expected.

Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 12:38 PM on Aug. 27, 2009