what causes your jaw to swell up?

my daughter was complaining about her tooth hurting last night. she refused dinner because of the pain. i gave her some childrens tylonol and looked at her tooth. all i could see was her gums around the one tooth looked a little red and irritated. this morning when she got up her whole jaw was swollen. what can cause this

Caroline84

Asked by Caroline84 at 11:48 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Kids' Health

• She needs to see a dentist immediately. It is possible she has a tooth with an abscess. Minimally there is something going on that is clearly not normal.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:06 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My jaw swells up due to a condition called sjogrens syndrome. It's characterized by dry eyes, dry mouth, and fatigue. I went to the dr due to the jaw problem and severe fatigue, my GP directed me to a rheumatologist who diagnosed the sjogrens - but it's an extremely rare condition. If you can see a problem with the tooth, that's much more likely.

Answer by missanc at 2:30 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I would say a possible tooth infection... I would have it looked at ASAP
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:11 PM on Aug. 27, 2009