Can I start giving my five and a half month old oatmeal instead of rice cereal?

She has had rice cereal for almost two weeks now and I would like to give her oatmeal instead because I thought it would be more nutritious. I would like to give her oatmeal (instead of the usual rice cereal) mixed with formula in the morning, and then give a veggie in the eve.

hollysybb

Asked by hollysybb at 11:48 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes you can just keep it rather thin. My DD liked it when mixed with apples or pears.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:57 AM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Yes, but it counts as a new food, and you should introduce them one at at time so that if your baby has a reaction, you know what they are reacting to. So if you start baby on oatmeal today, wait a couple days before starting a veggie.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:03 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• She has been having sweet potaoes in the eve for the past four days and seems fine. Can I continue sweet potatoes in the eve?
    hollysybb

Answer by hollysybb at 12:46 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• yes you can continue the sweet potatoes...as for the oatmeal yea you can offer it to her. I would just watch her diapers when she poops. My son had diaherrea for about a week when i was feeding him oatmeal. But I found that the thicker I made it the less he had diaherrea. Good luck
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 12:49 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Have you considered barley cereal? I have a nurse that comes and visits me from the healthy babies healthy children program, and she said to give barley then oatmeal then mixed. But she said not untill 6 months. Rice cereal is easier to digest so I personally would stick with that for a bit longer, but it's up to you.
    And yea you can keep giving sweet potatos, but you said its been afew days so it won't hurt to try something new. Try another vegetable like carrots or squash. A variety is important.
    Good luck mama
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 1:12 PM on Aug. 27, 2009