Preschool Concerns Part 2

Yesterday was my 3 1/2 year old's first day at school. When I picked her up, she didn't want to talk about her day. Then, when somebody would ask her if she likes it or/and what she did, she starts crying and tells them she doesn't like school. She was upset practically the whole afternoon and this morning was really bad. How would I know if this means she's not ready for school or if it's just how children react until they become adjusted?

Please help! I feel like I'm torturing my little girl by sending her to school...

tatsmygirl

Asked by tatsmygirl at 11:56 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I worked in a preschool for 8 years. This is normal. Most kids do that and it usually takes about 2 weeks for them to adjust.
    MamaChop05

Answer by MamaChop05 at 2:08 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I don't have an answer for you, but my 4 year old is starting pre-k on Sept 9th, and that is my biggest concern! The teacher said that most kids have a hard time adjusting for the first few days (or even weeks). Talk to the teacher just to make sure that nothing overly traumatic happened that day, and if not, just try to be patient, I'm sure it will get better. Hopefully I'll be able to follow my own advice later! Good luck!!
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 2:18 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I have worked in preschool for 20 years and your daughters behavior is normal for a lot of children, especially those that have not been away from mom very often. It will take a few days to a few weeks. I would give it atleast 2 weeks before determining if she is ready for preschool or not. You also need to try and make sure your feelings of her not being ready aren't showing, children pick up on our feelings. Drop her off and leave, do not hang around, she will get used to preschool, give her the chance. Don't push her to talk about school, wait for her to talk about what she did, which she will do on her own. Once she is used to school, then talk to her about all the fun things she is learning and doing.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:43 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Aww, I know this hard. First, many kids respond to their first independent adventures with some trepidation, tears, etc. I agree with the previous posters there. Ask the teacher if anything happened. Ask how she did in the classroom, etc. If not, know this is an adjustment and you're not alone.

Beyond that, keep in mind that no child - but especially a preschool aged one - is going to answer a broad question with any thing useful. "How's your day" will almost always end up with "Fine." Similarly "What did you learn/do?" leads to "Nothing." Get familiar with the basic class schedule and then ask specific questions - Who did you play with today? Did you have a job? What book did Mrs. D read? What craft project did you make? What color crayon did you use? Oh, pretty, why did you pick that color? What learning center was your favorite? If says she didn't like it, ask what about it didn't she like.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:49 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Thanks a lot for all your answers ladies... They help me plenty. I love Cafemom!
    tatsmygirl

Answer by tatsmygirl at 2:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2009