Would you pay or not?

My sitter requested to get a day off next week; should I rewrite her paycheck for next week and subtract that day or just leave it as is? I've always paid her for holidays and random days I've kept him home (or my Mom has taken him). This is only the second time she asked for a day off in 7 months and last time it was because she was sick. I don't want to upset her, but I have to pay someone else to watch him that day.
BTW--we do not have a contract, she is just a friend that stays home with her LOs and offered to keep mine for some extra cash.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• Don't pay her.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• If she requested the day off then I wouldn't pay her for it.
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 12:01 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I wouldnt pay her unless you cancel on her. If she cancels on you then no pay
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:01 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• i think i would pay her half a day, sounds like you have a great sitter, don't upset the apple cart over a few bucks, it's not worth it. :) just tell her that your doing this because you appreciate her & the way she cares for your child ( if you do ) sounds like shes worth it... good luck

tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 12:03 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I agree, if you cancel on her then go ahead and pay her. If she cancels on you then do not pay her. If she gets upset she needs to understand that nobody gets paid if they don't work at any other job and you also had to pay someone else to what your child. I think you nice enough to pay her on holidays and when you cancel on her and that's good enough.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I'm torn because it's only $15/day ($75 a week) and like a pervious poster said, I don't want to rock the boat over $15 BUT.... I have to pay someone closer to $30-$35 to watch him for a day, so even though it's only $15 to her it's $45-$50 to me if I also pay her... I think I agree with you guys.. I'll rewrite it, I'm sure she'll understand.

thanks :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• btw ANON :16 was me the OP! :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• She's a friend, just talk to her about it. It's $15, I think that it would be better to have a conversation about it, then to just hand her a check and not say anything. I'm sure she doesn't expect you to pay her when she cancels on you, but it's better to be upfront about it.
    I had my friend watch my first child while I worked. Our agreement from the beginning is that I would pay her for the time that she babysat, period. She agreed, she was happy to have the extra pocket money and I was glad that I had someone I could trust.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• She is doing you a favor by only charging you $75 a week! That is rock bottom pricing! If I were your friend I would be seriously upset if you shafted me over $15, especially since you claim she is a friend! I've been in the childcare industry before and you are expected to pay her for that day. You have her a weekly rate NOT an hourly or daily rate! She is essentially on salary for you. Think of all the times you show up five or ten minutes late over a year. You've more than made up for it. Pay her and don't cheap out on the person who cares for your child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Trust me if you hand her a check for less than your weekly agreed upon amount you will be rocking the boat. Do you really want to have an awkward conversation and put her on the spot over $15? Just skip out on the fast food one day this week and you'll be fine. Realize if you're having to have someone else $35 for a day that you are obviously getting a bargain with your current sitter. If someone else is worth $35 a day then why isn't your current sitter?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Aug. 27, 2009