Is my Doctor a quack?

I've been told several times sleeping on your back while pregnant is a bad thing. My Doctor said I could and it wouldnt hurt me or the baby. So I was just wondering what is exactly is wrong with sleeping on your back during pregnancy and is my doctor a quack for saying its okay?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Sleeping on your back while pregnant puts pressure on the aorta thus decreasing blood flow to the brain. If you get up suddenly or change positions you will get a sudden rush and experience dizziness. As for the baby decreased blood flow is decreased blood flow. Chances are you will move or change positions before serious damage occurs.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• well with some people it can cut off circulation but it's not always the case you will know if you can lay on your back or not i prefer my back most of the time and im 34wks it's just whatever is comfortable to you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Sleeping on your back in the second half or pregnancy puts a lot of undue weight on your spine, back muscles, already cramped intestines, and the inferior vena cava (the vein that brings blood up from the lower body back to the heart). So you are more likely to have blood pressue fluxuations (some women get dizzy and nauseus), the pressure on your rectum can encourage hemmoroids.

When I lay on my back for longer than a few minutes the baby doesn't like it AND I get cramps that stimulate my bowels. I don't get backaches, but many women do because of all the heavy pressure from the uterus.

The best position is lying on left as it increases blood flow but there isn't anything wrong with lying on the right side.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Lying on your back for extended periods of time is bad, for the reasons amileegirl said. But chances are, you'll find it uncomfortable to do so, so by the time you roll off of your back, no damage has been done. But an easy fix if you're a back sleeper is to tuck a small pillow under one of your hips to tilt your uterus; you'll still get the sensation of sleeping on your back, but the tilt will take the weight of the uterus off the problem-causing areas.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:21 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• There are a lot of great answers already listed here. It is best to go to sleep on your side but if you wake up and you are on your back don't panic. You can't control it if you sleep on your back unknowingly.
    Gaskinwife

Answer by Gaskinwife at 1:22 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• It wont necessarily hurt the baby but its not good for you
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:13 PM on Aug. 27, 2009