Is My doctor a quack?

I've been told several times sleeping on your back while pregnant is a bad thing. My Doctor said I could and it wouldnt hurt me or the baby. So I was just wondering what is exactly is wrong with sleeping on your back during pregnancy and is my doctor a quack for saying its okay?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Health

• yea he's a quack, it can cut off the baby's blood supply
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• It's fine for the first half, not so much for the second. The weight of your baby and your uterus can cut off your blood flow to your organs. It's not comfortable for me to lie on my back by then anyways.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:27 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• http://www.babycenter.com/404_whats-the-best-sleep-position-during-pregnancy_7608.bc
    http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/sleepingpositions.html

While isn't not absolutely terrible to sleep on your back, it can increase risks and pain for you. A lot of times, you won't be able to control how you sleep. So don't fret if you find yourself on your back each morning despite trying to sleep on your sides.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• it's ok if you accidently roll onto your back while sleeping, if something is going wrong you will wake up short of breath. try not to bc it's not good for baby. it's best to sleep on your left side w a pillow between your legs. put a pillow behind you so you don't roll onto your back
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 12:38 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• You can sleep in whatever position your body will let you. When you get that far along, you won't really WANT to sleep on your back. It will be uncomfortable. Your doctor is not a quack. Women have been doing this for years and I have yet to meet someone who has a story about sleeping on their back while pregnant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• You should find a new doctor

Answer by rkoloms at 12:55 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Sleeping on your back is not harmful to the baby but it can be to you. Your doctor is not a quack. I do agree with those that say it can be uncomfortable for you though. My doctor never told me to not sleep on my back, for most of my pregnancy that was the only position I could sleep in. The last couple of months, no matter the position, I was uncomfortable. You can even sleep on your stomach when pregnant (that is REALLY uncomfortable though).

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2009