Diaper rash/yeast infection/contact dermatitis?

My daughter had a persistent diaper rash we attributed to her getting molars. But after about 7 days, we took her into the doctor. The doctor diagnosed a yeast infection as a result from a bout of diarrhea she had had prior to the rash. We were given a prescription and various at home rememdies. Well, it hadn't cleared up in another week, so we went back. Now she suspects it may be contact dermatitis cause from a switch in diaper wipes. However, we haven't used those wipes in at least 4 days and it is still pretty bad. Any one go through this? It seems like it gets better, (not healed but healing) and then flares up again. We got a prescription for a steroid hydrocortizone cream for her this time. Hopefully it works. But has anyone else had this happen to their little one? What was the final problem and solution? Thanks ladies.

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Kids' Health

• my dd has atopic dermatitis & she was allergic to the diapers we were using, have you tried different diapers? GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Yes yes and yes, i have 2 girls 2 1/2 and 18mths, happens and happened to both, i went through cream after cream, i found that plain yogurt also used for adult yeast infections works great for my girls when they have one, ( no sugar in it just plain all natural yogurt) and, as a way to prevent it i stated using A&D ointment( not cream) after each diaper change consistantly and cover the whole bottom and diaper area, since i have been using the A&D ointment i have had a diaper rash problem in my girls in about 1mth. Hope i helped
    angels4262

Answer by angels4262 at 12:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• i ment haven't had a diaper rash problem in a month, lol
    angels4262

Answer by angels4262 at 12:38 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I had the same problem. My DD is 2 now. I just put her on cloth diapers and used a Ointment called Aquaphor. I applied it every diaper change. It worked and also I had to quickly get her potty trained. The ointment is a little costly but it works. My mom said she had the same problem with me. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Try Aquaphor, it works wonders on all kinds of rashes. Clears up diaper rash in a day. A little goes a long way too. It works for Eczema too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I could only use Huggies diapers. we also noticed that apple juice (very acidic) caused breakouts.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:58 AM on Aug. 31, 2009

• I think it was the new wipes that we tried, but then discontinued. Couple with the fact that my daughter was teething anyway, had a slight case of diarrhea, and is always very hydrated, the reaction to the wipes never had time to heal. Fortunately, with this steroid cream, she is almost back to normal. You can kind of tell there was a rash recently. But that is all that is left of her horrendous rash. Thanks ladies for all of your help!
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2009