Do you know or have you known someone that drank heavy most of their life and quit?

My husband is 50 and has drank heavy for a few decades now. He wants to quit for our son who is 5.
This isn't the first time he brought this up and never stuck with the plan. He says he drinks because we live "in town" versus the country.
I don't buy that as an excuse for drinking because no matter where he has lived he has always had a can of beer in his hand. Actually before we married he pretty much lived in the bar all the while lived in the country.
If he does go through with this not drinking thing what can I expect? will there be moodiness? what can I do to keep him busy when he says there is nothing to do? because we live "in town". All he does is sit in his chair and drink. Then eats and crashes on the couch. I know he will not go to AA meetings. can a guy like this really stop on his own?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Relationships

• I don't know. But my hubby goes through about 1.5 GALLONS of Whiskey a week. I am fed up with him not being sober on his days off. He starts around 4pm and by 6 he is drunk and keeps drinking till he passes out. UGH. Then he wants sex. NO THANKS.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Me and my husband, we are recovering alcoholics and both grew up in a home with alcoholic parents, his: selfish alcoholics, Mine: abusive alcoholics to each other, Me and hibby almost lost our son, went to jail several times and said a prayer one night that God would help me crave him more than the alcohol and it changed our life. It is a hard road, but it is possible and change can happen at any age, my parents quit drinking for awhile, but got caught up in pride and thinking they could do it alone, and got involved with the wrong people, thay are now struggling to get back on track, but i was major alcoholic, i drank all the time and craved it severly. You first need to notice you can't do this alone, that u need help. Heres a good site
    www.alcoholicsforchrist.com

angels4262

Answer by angels4262 at 12:55 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I've had a few friends that have quit drinking after years of abusing alcohol. One was a female who attended AA meetings for 1 year and has been clean of alcohol for 2 years now. Her wake up call was her getting pulled over by the cops one morning, she was drunk, they didn't realize she was drunk. During the time she was trying to quit she became shaky, moody, irritable and distant. But, this has since gotten better. It takes awhile for your body to adjust to no alcohol (I guess). Another friend, male, was given the ultimatum, quit drinking or else divorce! He has quit and hasn't touched alcohol for more than 4 years.
    Good luck to you and your husband. Be supportive, but firm.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 12:55 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• there deffinitly is hope. i said a prayer for you hubby
    angels4262

Answer by angels4262 at 12:57 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• It's possible but not probable to do it alone. I had a friend whose dad was an alcoholic. The day his youngest child turned 18 he quit drinking and never took another drink!

Answer by admckenzie at 1:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Thanks for the prayers! angels4262
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Yes, he can quit if he really wants to. I'm not sure if my dad was an alcoholic, because he only got buzzed (not drunk) and got up early and went to work every morning, but he drank a 12 pack of beer every single night for atleast 10 years, He hurt his back, doctor gave him pain medicine and told him he couldn't drink, and hasn't drank again. It's been over 12 years now. I do have to say that my dad is the stongest person I've ever known. He quit smoking cold turkey and didn't even get grumpy :)
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 1:03 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I know of 3 other full on alcoholics who quit. 1 was an ex-boyfriends dad. He used to drink so bad that he would get the shakes when he started running out of alcohol. His liver failed, and he had the choice to quit drinking or die..........................................he's still alive!
    My neighbor was a bad alcoholic, lost her first 3 kids because of it. She started another family and when child services threatened to take them, she quit.
    I have a friend who is my age that became an alcoholic, the alcohol ruined her stomach and she had the choice of quiting or to die.............................she's also still alive.
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 1:09 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• It is good to know there is hope. I gave my 1st husband a choice on his drinking/drugs...either that or your family.
    We have been divorced for 12 years now, he's a nasty pot smoking drunk still bitter about me leaving. all the adults in my family die with alcohol in their blood. My dad was driving drunk my mom drank herself to death, her parents died while drunk (suicide for 1 and the other fell and bled to death). My brother in law and uncle died of liver failure because of drinking. That's just the beginning! So when it comes to quiting I have a hard time believing it can REALLY HAPPEN for the LONG TERM.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I am proud of you, Angels. Really, I am! Way to go, girl, and it's amazing what God can do when we ask of Him!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:17 PM on Aug. 27, 2009