When to tell potential employer I am pregnant.

Hi

I am 13 weeks pregnant and I am trying to find another job related to my field in counseling. Currently I work retail and I am in graduate school. I sent my resume to a company and right now my husband and I disagree on when I should tell them that I am pregnant. I feel that if/when they offer me the job I should tell them because it is unprofessional, he wants me to wait a few weeks before telling them because they may retract the offer. I haven't even had an interview yet, we are just "planning ahead."

Does anyone have any articles that I can show my husband? He is very analytical and will not believe word of mouth I need some "professional" proof. I've read a few things but I can't find them again. Can anyone help me out?

swtabbga

Asked by swtabbga at 12:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It really depends on how badly you want the job! It is illegal for an employer to not hire you because you are pregnant BUT they can always find another excuse besides that one to retract an offer (like, they interviewed someone more qualified) How much time do you plan on taking off after the birth?
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:06 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Hmm I'm sorry but I have to agree with your husband on this one. Unfortunately I have found in the job field, pregnant women aren't really wanted. I was interviewed for a job at 8 weeks pregnant. I didn't tell my boss I was pregnant and ended up getting the job. Well a few weeks later I started to show and she asked me if I was pregnant...I said yes I was and it was like a switch went off with her and she completely did a 180. She started being really rude to me and treated me completely different...a week later she fired me because "I wasn't doing my job well enough," which I knew was complete bullshit. It is illegal for an employer to not hire you or fire you because you are pregnant but they can always make up another reason to. I'd say you shouldn't say anything to them until you get the job and it becomes necessary.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:09 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• well . . . the job is a counseling position at Job Corps, so i would hope they are family friendly, this is my first and i was thinking of taking at least 6 weeks but i don't know what is typical. I don't plan on telling them at the interview but I personally would like to tell them when they offer or when I go in to sign papers, my husband disagrees. I just don't know what to do.
    swtabbga

Answer by swtabbga at 1:15 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I hate to do it, but I agree with your husband, also. You're not so far along that you would be showing & you really wouldn't want to risk not getting hired. Wait until you start your employment with them.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 1:20 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Wait until you can no longer hide your pregnancy. Be sure to have a written transition plan for your responsibilities.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:46 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• You have to work a total of 1250 hours for an employer before they are required to hold your job during your maternity leave. That is approximately 7 months so you might be better off to tell them upfront because they can give your position to somebody else while you are out because you wouldnt have worked the required 1250 hours to secure your position.

I would rather not get hired for a job then to lose one that I already had
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:08 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• You'll find what you want by googling Michigan maternity leave laws. In your state is AGAINST THE LAW for someone to refuse to hire you because you're pregnant.

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:nj5VRFpF1GwJ:www.michigan.gov/documents/Final_Employment_Guide_124633_7.doc+michigan+maternity+leave+laws&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Answer by gdiamante at 2:13 PM on Aug. 27, 2009