• In the Spotlight:

offensive?

Raymond and Louise Denny of La Center were surprised last week to receive a mailing from Michael Steele, chairman of the Republican National Committee, entitled "2009 Future of American Health Survey."

After reading it, their surprise turned to outrage.

They were especially irked by the following:

"It has been suggested that the government could use voter registration to determine a person's political affiliation, prompting fears that GOP voters might be discriminated against for medical treatment in a Democrat-imposed health care rationing system. Does this possibility concern you?"

Raymond Denny, a retired insurance underwriter, characterized the question as akin to "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?"

"It's so blatantly lopsided," he said. "I called them up and said, 'This is ridiculous!' They just said, 'All right.'"
http://columbian.com/article/20090825/NEWS02/708259961/-1/NEWS

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• considering how many of the resident trolls here would think that's a good idea, it's a valid question
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Keep reading...

"It's standard practice to use such faux "surveys" to raise money for a variety of causes, said Portland pollster Mike Riley. "It's common, trying to stir the pot to see what kinds of issues get attention."

"Both parties do that," Riley said. "They are using some of the hot-button issues to see what activates the voters. It's politics as usual within the party faithful. No one that I know puts any credibility in these types of polls."

Riley recalled a recent fundraising "survey" sponsored by Democrats that attempted to link issues of child safety and gun ownership. One question asked whether it is important to keep children safe and to keep them away from guns. The implication, he said, was "that guns shouldn't be in homes where children are present.""
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• "A tip-off that a survey really is a fundraising tract, Riley said, is when questions cover more than one issue. "It's called a double-barreled question" and would not be used by a professional pollster, he said.

Portland pollster Bob Moore agreed.

"It's a fundraising appeal, is what it is," he said. "Everyone does it — Democrats, anti-tax groups, environmentalists. The audience that receives it has given to that organization at some point in time and is on the list to receive solicitations."

If such tactics "weren't effective, they wouldn't be using them," Moore said.

Denny said his own views on health care reform are straightforward: "I favor any option that extends availability to people."

"My feeling is, we have had erosion in the number of people who are covered," he said. "The amount of health care has diminished. We just can't have that in society. It hurts on a lot of levels.""
    Anonymous

• Ugh. I left the repuglican party years ago, yet I'm still getting these "surveys" (that also beg you for $$$$$). I typically throw them straight into the garbage. It's been suggested to me that I use their nice little postage-paid return envelope to send a bunch of my junk mail back to them, but I'm too nice to do that, or to suggest that anyone else do it. ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I just got a "Census survey" from the GOP. Yes they wanted some "information" but it turned out to be a plea for money. Sorry have ya seen my bankaccount? barely covers MY bills. Let Joh Mc Cain support your BS.
    Oh and BTW I can almost guarantee if you fill these forms ,you WILL start getting telemarketing calls. How do you think they get the info? And guess who sells your info?
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 2:08 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Biased? It's a Republican party newsletter - of course it's bias. I'd expect the same sort of slant in 'facts' from a Democratic party newsletter.

I think people need to remember the adage "consider the source" before getting reacting. If he didn't agree with the obviously pro-Republican tint to the text, he should ask to be removed from the mailing list.

WAGanma - any and all political group will snag your info and add you to their marketing lists if you respond or request info. There's an email marketing columnist for an industry pub that signed himself up under pseudonyms for every major candidate last fall. He's STILL getting spam from both major parties and each third party he sent info to - and in many cases NOT related to the candidate he was originally asking for info about. This isn't a partisan issue. This is a marketing issue. It's not any different than giving your info here and having someone rent the list.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• That's to be expected--it will be worded to elicit the response they want.

I have never supported PETA, but I am somehow on their mailing list and they send out those types of surveys from time to time. I can't help but snicker a little at stuff like this "Do you support companies who brutally torture animals needlessly to prove cosmetic safety when the products are already known to be safe?" Like anyone's sitting there thinking "Yeah, yeah, I'm all for tormenting bunnies".
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:09 PM on Aug. 27, 2009