Brat 3 year old

We just moved our 3 year old daughter into her own room which happens to be our old room. We hadn't got all of our stuff out of the closet yet. All of my scrapbooking stuff was still in it. When we moved her into the room my husband told her not to get into the closet. Well, today was the first time she did it and she got ahold of my acrylic craft paint and got it ALL over. She was covered in it, her bed and her wall. It got all over her new bedding set. How do I get it out of clothes (got on my new jeans when I was washing her up) and out of her bedding set. I know that magic eraser will get it off the wall and her bed but I'm pissed about the bedding. That was her bday present from her grandparents. And how can I get her to start obeying. She never wants to listen to me. She was supposed to be sleeping when she did all of this.

agrafel

Asked by agrafel at 1:12 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She's 3... I don't know how much obedience you can expect when a child is unsupervised at this age. All I can say is try to "baby proof" a little more, because she's going to be curious about everything. When you set rules, give her clear consequences and follow through on them. She'll eventually get it if you are consistent. As for the paint, you could try using a little diluted paint thinner and old rags to dab it off. It could possibly take the color out of the fabric though. Sorry that's my only suggestion.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 1:16 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• For her birthday she got one of those small 12Volt 4wheelers. Her consequence is that she is grounded from it. She loves that thing. Shes gotta learn that if she doesnt listen, she doesnt get what she wants. I made her take a wet wash cloth and wash it off of the wall while I cleaned it off her bed. I'm going to try soaking the bedding with soap and water and scrubbing it to see if that works.
    agrafel

Answer by agrafel at 1:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I dont know if this will help or not but i get all the stains out of our clothes with mean green...my granny uses it one everything it can even gets stains out of carpet...good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• She's 3, what did you think would happen? I would never leave items like that where a 3 year old can reach them! You need to take some personal responsibility here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Anon :54. I do take responsibility for stuff but when hubby specifically told her not to get into the closet. She knows that its mommy's stuff in there and that she isnt supposed to touch it. Why does everyone think that just because she is 3 its okay? 3 is old enough to know the difference between right and wrong. She never does any of this stuff when daddy is home so obviously she knows
    agrafel

Answer by agrafel at 1:58 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I agree that there needs to be consequences. However, I also think it's very important to remember that children this age developmentally lack the ability to control their impulses. KNOWING she's not supposed to go into the closet because she was told not to and IGNORING the impulse to find out what's so good in there that she's supposed to stay out are two different things. ;)

Absolutely there ought to be a consequence. I think removing her favorite toy for a duration is a good consequence. We do similar things in our house. However, I also think that if there's something she absolutely can not get into without causing damage or harm to herself it needs to be removed no matter what you say to her about touching it. My kids are 7 and 5. They know the steak knives are off limits to them. The knives are still out of reach. They don't try to use them when they can get to them, but we don't tempt fate either.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:39 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• You have to set limits and punish her when she doesn't listen. Take things away when she doesn't listen. If the paint doesn't come off her bedding, she doesn't get another one, she can use an old one. Make HER help clean up the mess, she can use a Magic Eraser to clean the wall and bed...just have her wash her hands afterwards. Also, most 3 year olds do NOT know the difference between right and wrong, they are 3 and need to be taught and shown what we feel is acceptable and appropriate behavior. She may understand or know that the things in the closet are yours and she shoudln't touch them but she is 3 and can't control her impulses. I am sorry to say but when you made that her room, you should have taken everything out that you didn't want her to touch.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:55 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• OK this is obviously a first child let's all ease up. Children at this age are beginning to learn that mom and dad do not know everything it is the age when they start pushing limits, however they still need a safe environment in which to thrive and grow. While children do need to learn to mind we can not put something in their paths which we know may tempt them or could be harmful or in the case cause a mess. Let her know you love her tell you are sorry you left those things there and that it is your first time being a parent and there are things you still don't know. Kids need to know we are human, but also explain that when mommy and daddy tell her not to touch there is a good reason it is because we love you and care about you and don't want anything bad to happen. Hope this helps, being a parent the first time is not an easy job, been there done that.
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 9:58 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 10:05 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

I tend to agree with that. Not to mention I think it's horrible to call her a brat. You should have known it would have sooner or later if you left it in there.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 9:36 AM on Aug. 28, 2009