My 7mo old son hates being put to sleep.... advice?

When he starts rubbing his eyes I take him to the "sleepy chair" and try to rock him to sleep, this is when he starts crying, squirming, hair pulling face scratching ear pulling, its a huge breakdown!

Then he quiets down and then slowly falls asleep. It takes about 15 mins to calm him down and then 5 mins before I set him down.

Ive tried different locations, light on/off, different positions, car seat while driving...everything.

My Dr said that some babies just need to cry before the go to sleep and said to try putting him down before he's asleep all the way and let him put himself to sleep.

When I do this he reverts back into Tasmanian devil stage and screams until he passes out (30 mins) or I pick him up. Needles to say I HATE listening to him cry.

I guess my question is is it really in his best interest to let him cry it out?

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 1:13 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have 3 children and they all went through that phase. I hated it, too. I had to let them cry it out. It didn't take too many days of the crying for them to figure out that they were tired and go right to sleep. Soon, they quit crying at naptime and bedtime. Hang in there. You aren't alone.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 1:35 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• my daughter is 4 months and just started this too.

Is he just doing at night? or naptimes too?
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 1:20 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• nap times too, even when we are out in public, people look at me like I'm trying to kill my baby, or he's trying to kill me! He has never just dozed off.... ever!
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 1:22 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I did the CIO, but although mine would fuss, they never screamed for 30 minutes. You might want to hear some advice from the other side. I did my CIO earlier, when they didn't have quite so much energy and weren't so mobile. But - I can tell you that all 4 of mine are excellent sleepers and people are always amazed when I put my baby down at night or for naps I don't have to spend a lot of time rocking and that he doesn't cry, just goes right to sleep.

Answer by missanc at 1:30 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• what is CIO?
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 1:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• CIO is cry it out. Personal experience: HUGE FAIL.

Go pick up a copy of "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by ElizabethPantley.

But your baby is pretty normal and this WILL pass.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:39 PM on Aug. 27, 2009