Does anyone put rice cereal in their 2 month olds bottle at night to help then sleep?

My best friend had a baby 3 days after me, her doctor told her o put rice cereal in her nighttime bottle to help her fill up at night. I have been doing this too. I bought a feeder bottle at Walmart && it hasbeen working great. I just wanna know if anyone else has done this or if their doctor told them not to?

carolynhowell

Asked by carolynhowell at 1:14 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 4 weeks 2 of my kids were wanting to eat 10-12oz of formula every 4 hours and my DR said that was too much, to cut the formula to 6oz and add a couple tsp of cereal to the bottle. It filled them up and they still ate every 4-6 hours.

1 of my kids had reflux and I put cereal in his bottle when he was 2 weeks, but he ate half of what my other 2 piggies would eat.

As far as sleep goes it didn't help them sleep thru the night since they all slept thru the night 7pm-7am since they were 2 weeks. They woke up hungry, but I'm not waking a sleeping baby.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 2:39 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Doc told me no cereal in any form until at least 4 months old.

(just a heads up the drama mama's are probably going to latch on to this one.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• You should not put cereal in a baby's bottle, ever. I have heard of dr's recommending it for reflux on rare occasion, but not to fill them up at night. Cereal doesn't help fill up a baby so they can sleep through the night. My babies (i have 4) all slept at least 8 hours at night by 2 1/2 months on nothing but breastmilk. If you do decide to feed your baby cereal early (although most experts recommend waiting until at LEAST 4 months), it should be done from a spoon, not a bottle.
    Oh - and I'm not a drama mama, just an informed parent.

Answer by missanc at 1:22 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Some Drs prescribe it for reflux... My mom put rice cereal in the bottles of all 4 of her children..... But I wouldnt give her the mother of the year award. she a firm believer in the "go play " method of parenting, also known as the "get away from me" method.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 1:26 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I tried this with my twin boys at that age. it did not work. breastmilk or formula has waaay more calories & fat in it than rice cereal. babies digestive systems are not meant to digest anything but breastmilk until 6 months (or 4 months, whatever). its more like a coincidence that the baby is sleeping better now. at that age they start to sttn anyways.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 1:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Cereal in the bottle is a choking hazard.
    Babies tummies often don't tolerate grains well until 6 or 7 months.
    Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You can find it at your local library. More info at www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 1:34 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• It's not recommended except for reflux. If the baby is sleeping, they were going to ANYWAY...what you do has absolutely nothing to do with when they sleep.

Cereal in the bottle is a choking and aspiration risk, and increases the baby's chances of obesity later.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:38 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My daughter was placed on cereal by her doctor at 3 weeks but only for severe reflux. It did not help her sleep more, she still woke up for normal feedings until she was about 3-4 months old. She is now almost 10 months old and the amount of cereal in her bottle has no bearing on how she sleeps.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 2:17 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Tried it at 3 months....it didn't work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Oh yeah...I don't know if it's because they had cereal in their bottles, but they wouldn't eat cereal from a spoon at 4-6 months. I tried peaches and bananas out of curiosity and they ate it, but still refused to eat straight cereal; so I would mix peaches or bananas in with some cereal and they ate it.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 2:41 PM on Aug. 27, 2009