Do you think they should be able to change the law in MA to let the Gov appt Sen Kennedy's relacement.....

or do you think it's BS when these SAME dems are the ones that got the law changed in 2004 to keep then repub gov from being able to fill Kerry's seat? Now that there is a dem gov they want to change the rules! I call BS.

For the recor, I would make the same call if this was repubs doing this. It's not like this is 10 or 15 yrs later and a whole new group of folks....this is the SAME group the changed the law in the first place!!

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 1:22 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins,

Actually, you are right. According to the law passed in 2004, a special election must be held in 150 days. However, Kennedy wrote a letter to the governor just days ago asking the legislators to change the law so a "speedy replacement" can be found. Now Barney Frank is asking for an "interim replacement" be chosen. The fear among those who want to vote for the replacement is that Kennedy's wish will be responded to. After all, it was a dying man's last request and the Kennedy's are more worshipped here than Elvis is in Memphis. It looks as though they will respect the law, but in MA, you just never know.

Won't make much difference anyway. There's no way a GOP can ever beat a Democrat in MA!
    Imogen13

Answer by Imogen13 at 3:07 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• They should not change the law. I think it is comical they want to do this. Let the people decide. I think they don't like what the result might be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• No, keep it the way it is. Can I change the law for speeding because I have an emergency I need to attend to? Nah, so why should they?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Well, they should be able to change any law. Should they change this law, no, it is obviously to their advantage and that is why they are doing it. However, both parties play this game constantly, so I guess I am not all that surprised by it.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 1:41 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• If they want to change the law they can change it later. This isn't the kind of law that should be changed every time it needs to be used. I also think this is the kind of law that should be put to a vote of the people of the state.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:50 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Sounds to me like they are just wanting to make up the rules as they go along. Typical.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 1:53 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Let the people of Massachusetts vote on WHO they want to fill his shoes. The blind doof in Albany appointed someone who noone knows outside of the Hudson Valley.
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 1:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I think it's BS.  They should have a special election for the people to decide. That's how it should be anyhow.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:10 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• " Sounds to me like they are just wanting to make up the rules as they go along. Typical. "

Reminds me of playing a game as a young kid, changing the rules as they go along. ;) Oh wait, Liberals... Children.... no too far off from each other.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 2:15 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I think the people should get the vote most definitely.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 2:17 PM on Aug. 27, 2009