Can this be common ground between Pagans & Christians?

Can concern for the environment be common ground between Pagans & Christians or am I being stupidly optimistic?

http://www.ewtn.com/vnews/getstory.asp?number=97240

Here is a small piece:

Benedict XVI said that with a little work and creativity, "humanity is able to assume the grave duty to hand over to the new generations an earth which, in turn, the latter will be able to inhabit worthily and cultivate further...For this to happen it is indispensable that the present model of global development be transformed through a greater and shared responsibility for creation: This is demanded not only by environmental emergencies, but also by the scandal of hunger and poverty."

If we care about one another & future generations, love the Earth, hate hunger & poverty, then can we pick up litter we pass, and dump plastic bottles in the recycler when we're already at Walmart?

flatlanderjenn

Asked by flatlanderjenn at 1:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I wish. I am a Christian and like jennijune said, we do share common ground and religion should not interfere with improving the lives of everyone. But there are some people who will continue to believe the exact opposite. Many of the Christians I know believe that God gave us this planet to do with what we want, we can tear it up and use it up and abuse it in every way possible and no matter what data you put in front of them, they will not change their minds. There are so many areas where we could make some headway but there will always be nah-sayers and denouncers and those who just do not agree and will fight tooth and nail to keep things the way they are, with no changes. I'm on board with common ground, let's work to make this country the best it can be!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I truly hope that there is a LOT of common ground between Pagans and Christians. There's no reason, IMO, why we CAN'T all co-exist peacefully, just agreeing to disagree on our chosen religious viewpoints.

The environment is a great starting place, but I truly hope that it can expand past that and into other realms.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 1:35 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I agree with anon. I have had many Christians tell me that i need to stop focusing on the creation and focus instead on the creator. I personally think it's so sad to have that kind of attitude be them devote Christian or not. Dont they want something left here for their grandkids?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:10 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I agree with the anon. There are always going to be people (sometimes on both sides of the issue) who will refuse to agree simply because they believe the other side is "the enemy".

To my mind, how much respect are you showing your Creator if you aren't respecting their Creation?
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:28 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I also agree with anon. I know many people the same way.

geminilove, that's my belief as well. But many of the people I know say "why would God put it there if we aren't supposed to use it?" or "why would God give us the brains to make this if we weren't supposed to" (that's one reference to a conversation about plastic grocery bags in the landfills). I believe the greatest way we can honor our Creator is by taking care of his Creation so that it is there for our children and their children and their children, until the time when Christ returns.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 2:40 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• When we focus on the Creator then everything else falls into place. When we do we will want to take care of His creation.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:42 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I agree as well. Honestly whatevery you believe in, whatever creator etc, do you think they are happy at what we have done to their creation? Prolly not.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 2:46 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• As a Christian for all my life, I never knew that there was a problem between Christians and Pagans. All I was ever aware of was that our beliefs differ, I never experienced any animosity towards Pagans or herd any bad word said against them until I came here.

I have no problem with some one of another belief. I respect people who respect the earth no matter what belief (or no belief) they have. I love nature, including plants and etc. I get very emotional when a tree is being cut down, I really hate it, even though I know at times it has to be done.

I just do not understand the animosity against the two and I am very confused by some of the things that are stated here from time to time.
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I was just talking to my fiance about how "inorganic" Christianity always seemed to me. That's (one of the reasons) why it felt so wrong when I was a kid. I was always very connected with nature and animals, and Christianity seemed to be just for people...it didn't seem to focus on nature at all. Sure, caring for the environment is mentioned once in a while, but it seems like an afterthought. I also never liked to idea of humans being superior to other living things. I don't believe that at all and never have.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 3:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Some day there may be co-existing between faiths of all kinds and if it's the thought of our Mother Earth being used up and wasted to get this started then so be it...
     What do you want to leave our children and their children? People put to much on one thing and over look what is more important...
     We are all humans, We all feel and We all bleed the same... We don't have to believe the same to co-exist or protect what will one day be our children's...

Saving one will Save many...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:12 PM on Aug. 27, 2009