Picky eater. Need Advice/Suggestions.

I have no idea what to feed my child. On a typical day I would make pancakes,eggs, french toast and a fruit. Well my kid has changed. Now she wont eat pancakes because she says they are to sticky, eggs are nasty and the toast is hard. So I give her cold cereals, now she hates milk. Skip to lunch, asks for chicken nuggets or jelly sandwich but wont eat it so i give her a list of things and she ends up napping with an empty stomach. Dinner I cook a full course meal she asks for bologna or chicken noodle soup. Please give me any suggestions on food ideas. Oh yeah dr suggested the different foods but really didnt name anything. Also when she goes to grandmas she eats any and everything no questions asked. I've tried cooking what grandma makes but she will only eat it with her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; you are a mom, not a short order cook! Don't be one of those parents who can't figure out why their child only eats mac&cheese, hot dogs and chicken nuggets. I promise that your child will not starve and will eventually resume eating a variety of foods.

Kids love to dip: fresh fruit and whole grain pancakes or waffles in yogurt; fresh veggies and whole grain pretzels or pita chips in hummus or salad dressing; steamed veggies and whole wheat pasta in peanut sauce or cheese sauce or marinara.

You can always fall back on the frozen foods: corn, peas and blueberries. Smoothies are good, too: frozen blueberries, frozen banana chunks, kale (lots of calcium and iron), kiwi or orange juice (vitamin C to increase the absorbtion of the iron) and yogurt.

Be strong, and make sure that she drinks plenty of water.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:40 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• You have to love toddlers and their desire to torture their parents! Since she's eating at Grandma's, if she's serving the same things you are, she's just making your life difficult because she can. I'd stop giving her so many options. Make healthy choices available to her and let her have some control. GIve her a choice of two veggies or two fruits. If you're making a main dish you know she never eats, give one other option. If she chooses not to eat, so be it. Also, don't get too hung up on order of foods. My son will sometimes eat fruit then his main dish. I usually offer a choice of veggie, then his main dish, then fruit for dessert. It isn't uncommon for him to refuse the veggie and main dish but eat the fruit then go back to the rest of the meal. Keep trying lots of new foods rather than just going back to old standbys. Also, keep trying rejected foods since tastes change daily!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:17 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I refused to fix something different than what the rest of the family was eating. I have 3 ds my two-year-old is my picky eater. My dh and I decided that our ds was being ridulous and was not going to bed hungry. That made us bad parents.(I am not calling you a bad parent. I do understand your concern. Our youngest was very underweight and had had a medical problem when he was an infant. We had to get the weight on per the pediatrician's orders.) I make nutritious and balanced meals. At first it was a real struggle, we had to make him eat. Eventually, he started eating what was put on his plate/bowl. Granted, there will be foods that most children won't like at first. We made sure that all 3 of our ds's had at least 2 bites of the food they didn't like. Eventually, they changed their minds about those foods they thought were icky. Now, they chow down.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:26 PM on Aug. 27, 2009