Has any ones children had hand foot mouth disease?

My son got it from church and I have read about it. I wanted to know how long your child had it and how bad it got? Thanks

MommyTessier

Asked by MommyTessier at 1:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter caught this from day care. She got it pretty bad. Would not swallow her spit let alone anything else. She had sores on her tongue, cheeks, and, throat as well as a few blister type spots on a couple of her fingers. My husband I got it too. He got it really bad! We had sores all over our mouths and had to use a mixture of lidocain and mylanta to spread all over our tongues. His lasted for about two weeks. A girl from the daycare who teaches (she is about 20) got it so bad that she had sores on the outside of her upper lip. I looked like cold sores. There is nothing you can do about it unfortunately. Just pain killers and lots of sanitizing. My poor little girl was drugged for about a week.

Make sure you rule anything else out and if he starts to show cold symptom signs, take him to the doc and insist antibiotics. Cold symptoms are NOT part of the virus, however their immune systems break down!
    MamaMikk

Answer by MamaMikk at 1:57 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• A child in sons daycare had it. His wasnt too bad but parents were scared. His lasted for a week. It should clear just follow dr orders.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My son had it, but it was a very mild case...he had one blister on his lip and a couple on his fingers. The feet just had a rash. He never got to the point where it hurt him to swallow, but like the poster above said, it can happen. Hopefully your LO will recover fast. My son's blisters had to be crusted over before he could return to daycare...all in all, it was about a week. He felt just fine the entire time though.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:30 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• About a week to 10 days, there's no medicine for it. The bumps didn't bother him and he drank most of his food during that time. It's a virus that has to run its course.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 2:54 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My son had a mild case of it, barely noticeable, but had it twice I believe, caught from daycare. I don't remember how long he had to stay home, but I don't think it was for very long.
    mama2conor

Answer by mama2conor at 8:25 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• my daughter got that at 11 mos. It lasted for 2 wks and they gave her "antibiotics" for it. I had to give it to her every 8 hrs and it didn't get any better. I don't know where she got it! I think it was from a grocery cart? I have no idea. She only had bumps in and on her mouth, nowhere else. Poor baby! it hurt her so bad!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:02 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• My daughter had it back in January. It sucked. Very high fevers that lasted for 3 or 4 days. The whole thing lasted for a week! She was very lethargic, wouldn't eat, just lay around. Tried to get her to drink plenty of fluids and was breast feeding at the time.
    MissCateyezz

Answer by MissCateyezz at 10:55 AM on Sep. 1, 2009