Teen son just diagnosed with asperger's disease?

My sixteen year old son was recently diagnosed with asperger's disease. He has always lead a relatively normal life he has a steady job he has a steady girlfriend that he has dated for two years. But ever since he was diagnosed he has been acting strange. I have tried to tell him nothing has changed all it is a writing on the piece of paper of sorts. And that all it dose is try and help the doctors help him more and that in no way will it make that big of a new impact on him. And I am also wondering how I can get him to sleep all the way through the night I know this may sound bad please do not bash me but he can not seem to sleep unless I or his dad is in there. I have heard of weighted blankets do those work? I am just so new to this and I am unsure what to do with it all. Thank you mom’s

JulieW503

Asked by JulieW503 at 1:34 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• First off, it's not a disease, as the other poster said. I don't even like it being called a disorder. I have Asperger's. I found out just this year (I'm 28).

I totally relate to his behaviors changing because he found out he has Asperger's. After I found out, I got depressed about it, because I never thought of myself as having a "disorder" and I didn't like finding out that this is how other people see me! Often, as was the case with me, when someone is diagnosed later in life, they seem to become "more autistic" because of it. They don't literally get worse though. I just started letting my guard down more is all. Autistic behaviors are coping mechanisms. I refrained from doing many of them all my life because of the negative reactions from other people. Now that I realize they are coping mechanisms and that some of them make me feel better, I allow myself to do them more often.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:50 AM on Sep. 5, 2009

• Is the sleeping issue new?

My ten year old also has Asperger's Syndrome and doesn't sleep all night, but that's nothing new for him and he hasn't needed a parent with him for years. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the blankets.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:31 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I'm sorry that you are going through this. I would try a weighted blanket of some kind or maybe a body pillow. And if it consoles you any one of the coolest guys I knew in my highschool had aspergers, he was a pretty good friend. Just keep reassuring your son that no matter what they wrote down on that paper he is still the same person. It might just be the shock of finding out that he is different that is what is making him act weird.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• First off it is NOT a Disease it is a disorder or syndrome. If you don't even know what it is called then you need to talk to the doctor more. Second. Melatonin helps with sleeping issues. It is natural. My Aspergers son takes it he is 5. With out it he wanders the halls until 11 pm. Third. Have him do more research. He should know what the diagnosis means and Doesn't mean. I have aspergers and I am married have a great job I have two kids. I just don't have a great social life but that is nothing new. I have one very good friend who understands me. That's all I need. I am a happy well adjusted Aspergers adult.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Aspergers is an explanation more than a diagnosis. there is nothing that can be 'done' for it. You just have to learn to adjust which it sounds like her has done. He has a girlfriend and a job... How did this diagnosis come about? Was it given by a psychologist or a GP? If it was given by a GP has it been confirmed by a Psychologist or other specialist in the area? One diagnosis could mean absolutely Jack $h!t. Get a second opinion. In cases like this ALWAYS get a second opinion especially if diagnosed by someone who is not seeing these things every day. Aspergers is heard to pin point. The 'signs' are very universal to other things. They can be misread by someone who is not really prepared to sift through them. My recommendation is to tell him to chill out and think about it. What does he know about the disorder? Does it sound right to him? I mean if I looked at all the signs I would believe i had it. (I don't)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Weighted blanket/vest can work. They are generally used in conjuction with other Occupational Therapy Services. You should look into finding an OT or OTA that can work with him and help him with the areas that he is struggling. OT can do so much for your family you really should look into it.

I know because I am an OTA student in Maine. I graduate this coming May.
    STowle

Answer by STowle at 7:41 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Here is a GREAT article explaining why autistic traits can seem to get worse in certain situations (including new diagnosis).

http://www.autistics.org/library/more-autistic.html
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:51 AM on Sep. 5, 2009