Our dogs are driving me crazy!

I have a 9-month-old son and my husband works while I am a stay-at-home mom. We have two dogs, who are both 3 years old, one girl, one boy and they are both 50-pound beagle mixes. My son loves the dogs and smiles and laughs at them, loves to touch them, etc etc. And the dogs are very good with our son. They are very gentle with him and never bite, step near him, none of that. In fact they are very protective and they are good for my son. But they're not good for ME! These dogs spend a great deal of their time wrestling eachother all around the house, growling, participating in aggressive play with eachother, indulging in DISGUSTING habits ( these are the only dogs I have ever seen that literally give eachother oral sex until I yell at them, the female dog lifts her leg up and everything! ), playing and chewing bones on the baby's blanket, etc etc and in our own fenced in backyard I still need to use leashes on them!cont

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Pets

• training will do little or nothing at all if those dogs don't get walked daily for 45 mins to an hr. have your husband walk them. obviously they need training but if you can't walk them i don't see how you'd have time to train 2. you can't do them at the same time cause one would listen and the other run off. i have to take my dogs in turn and train them. i watch dog whisperer or it's me or the dog. i have used all their training tips and my two old dogs are well trained the newer dog we just got is in training. good luck. i would suggest since there seems to be no option that you just rehome them. they need more attention to be truly happy.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:15 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• they are such a handful. sometimes they even pee and poop in the house even though they know better, and my husband said he'd train them but i can't stand this! I am worried about hygiene and certain rooms of our house need to be recarpeted because the smell is so bad from prior potty accidents ( even though I aggressively clean!!! ) I am losing my mind here. I have tried and tried for months to train these animals, hubby won't help much. I don't want to get rid of them because my son loves them and we want him to have pets growing up. But I don't know what to do. Help!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• They need to be walked every day for about 30-45 minutes. When you do, make sure you have their full attention and that you are in complete control and that they know that. This is how I started out with our doggie, otherwise he would have been a nightmare. This will take some of that aggession and energy that they have, out of them and they will be less likely chew on things that don't belong to them. Make sure to let them out a regular intervals during the day to pee and poop and if necessary. Oh and use their crates(if you have them) for quiet/down time to let them know that they must calm down. I do this for my dog still. And put them in their crates when you leave so that they do not have freedom to roam your house, just their space only.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 1:48 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Have you thought about keeping one outside full time? Or leave them outside except to come in when your son wants to play?
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:50 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I don't want the dogs outside because they get dirty and smelly enough as it is...and I can't take them for walks because even when I use a Gentle Leader leash, they still lunge at everybody. I couldn't do that because my husband works and I would need to bring my son with me in the stroller with the dogs and they'd go crazy, so i think that wouldn't be an option
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Maybe try Petco or Petsmart and get them into training classes It did help our dogs and they are much better family pets now... Good Luck!!! Be Patient

puppy

Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 2:06 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I higly recommend some training. Any dog should be able to come, sit, stay, laydown, heal, and be quiet. Look around and find a positive renforment training class eigther private or group. It just sounds like they have not been properly socialized. And a daily walk would help tons. But dogs are kinds 3/4 that listen when trained. Training will help tons.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 4:47 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I have considered some of those training classes in the past, but they are pretty expensive and we can't afford it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Aug. 27, 2009