Do you think parents are too easy going?

Growing up, my family was strict (which I am sure most families were). I knew if I didn't behave, especially in public, I'd get a wack. Do you think parents, because of their strict up bringing, are too easy going on their children today?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes, I think alot of parents are too easy going,part to do with everyone is soo busy and then there are the silly laws I believe about not spanking and so forth. I do not believe in spanking/harsher punishments but for some kids that is the only thing that gets through to the kids.
    Tdaycare6678

Answer by Tdaycare6678 at 1:46 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Some parents may be. My husband and I are not. We expect our children to behave and follow our rules. We raise them a lot like the way we were raised, with a few improvements.

In general, most of the parent's I have encountered are too lax with their children. But I'm sure there are other people out there like myself and my husband. (At least, I'd like to hope there are).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I think some are.. probably more these days than a generation or two ago... but really there is no "right" way to parent. Some styles work well for some children and dont work at all for others. You just have to see what works. I think the main thing is to keep an open mind.. don't write off a method because it didnt immediately wipe-out a bad behavior.. all parenting practices require PATIENCE and CONSISTANCY.
    AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 1:49 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I think its mixed. I see some parents that are way too uptight and focused on being "perfect parents with perfect kids" and some that are more concerned with making their child happy than being good parents.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:56 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Yes I think some parents can be too easy going, then when their kid has behavior problems because they are used to always getting their way or nobody correcting them, then the parent takes it out on the kids and have the nerve to wonder why their kids act the way they do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I think some are - I saw a woman let her daughter hit her over and over for not being able to get candy out of the quarter machine - it wasn't for lack of trying, the quarter machine ate the quarter. My DD looked at me and I gave her a look like "I would NEVER do that if I were you..."
    I think some parents are too "Easygoing" because they don't know how to do anything else and they don't want to be mean. I know, how do you NOT KNOW how to do anything else? Some people are not born just knowing how to raise kids. i wasn't but I decided early on (when I was 18 - after I just had my baby) that I was NOT going to take any bullcrap from my children when they got older. And I don't. They are polite little kids who don't throw fits (especially in public). They ARE kids and they have their moments but mostly they are just good kids.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 2:43 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• yes have you seen some of the questions on here....I can't get my 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 y.o. to behave or listen......I am thinking people really should have to take a class in order to have kids
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I agree. Sometimes we have to be the "bad guy" to show them the proper way to act. It is for their own good. Have you ever worked with a real ass!? I bet they were given whatever they wanted whenever they wanted when they were little.
    jillybean6781

Answer by jillybean6781 at 10:29 AM on Aug. 28, 2009