Does anyone else have a older baby who vomits from crying hard at bedtime? If so, what can I do to combat that instead of bringing her to bed with me?

My 11 month old baby girl will vomit anytime I try to get her to sleep in her crib. And she will do this from crying for only 5 minutes or less. I am at my wits end.

Momuvtwinz

Asked by Momuvtwinz at 1:46 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know it sounds crazy....but ignore her. When she realizes that putting on a show for mom no longer gets a reaction from mom...she will stop. My daughter did the same thing at that age. It was soooo hard...but 2 days later, she stopped vomiting (or trying to) everytime she didn't get her own way. I'm not saying leave her in her bed to CIO, you can do that however you want...but don't pay any attention to her until the fit is over with. Even then, keep things to a bare minimum...don't baby her right afterwards, clean the mess and then deal with her. If she contiunes, walk on out of her room until she calms down...even if you have to repeat it like 3 trillion times. Just be consistent...and don't let her win. When you take her into your bed after she cries and throws up, it just reinforces to her that is how to get in mom's bed...and she'll continue to do it. Good Luck.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 1:53 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Mine was like that at that age. At 11 mos she was in a toddler bed and would crryyyyyyyy and vomit at bed time and she rarely coslept. She just didn't like being alone. We started a routine. Bath, jammies, a special bestime snack (like grapes) then brush the teeth, story and lots of hugs. It was a little tricky at first. We stayed til she was asleep then the next week only stayed a few nights until she was out and eventually that was it. Now at 3 and in her own room some nights she just does it all on her own, well almost all. I still get to read The Paperbag Princess to her =)
    dharmas_mommy

Answer by dharmas_mommy at 1:54 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Nothing makes it harder to help a child develop good sleeping habits than a kid that can scream herself into vomit. Been there. Done that. Take heart, there are other methods of "sleep training" that don't involve screaming into vomit. We did something very similar to dharmas mommy. We started with my daughter when she was less than a year old and then repeated it when she moved from crib to bed at 2 yrs old. She's now just about 5 and bed time is a total non-issue in our house. Develop a good, solid bed time routine. Bath, teeth, stories. Help her identify a favorite comfort item. My DD switches which stuffed beast she wants to sleep with like the changing winds. She also has a favorite blanket. When we started routines both my kids had soft crib music playing (like the fisher price things you can hang on the sides and will turn off on its own) We turned on music, and rubbed her back until she fell asleep (continued)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:21 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• (cont from above) Once we could get her to sleep that way, we started to ease back on our involvement in the process. Bedtime routine, singing and/or music but no back rub. When that worked, we kept all the same except we stepped farther from the crib at more each night. When we were out in the hall by her door we stopped humming or singing along with the crib music. If she started to fuss we just quietly reassured her we were near by. When we no longer needed to assure her, we stopped waiting by the door altogether. It took maybe 2 weeks from start to finish but, seriously, totally worth it. She didn't throw up and she learned to self-soothe to sleep. Like I said, she'll be 5 in two weeks. She's an incredibly confident, independent child that goes to bed with no issues at night today and has for years.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:24 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• There are plenty of ways to get your child to sleep soundly with out this whole crying til they vomit crap...my daughter is a year old now and falls asleep perfectly fine on her own...she has NEVER cried herself to sleep. Nor will she ever. If your instincts are telling you that it's not right, it's b/c it's NOT right...it's dangerous for the baby and releases dangerous level of stress hormone. Don't force her to sleep and don't let her cry that hard. I would suggest getting the book "the NO cry sleep solution"...it's a great book but you must be patient and not expect results overnight. There are no rules taht say a baby needs to fall asleep or stay asleep at that age.....she's only 11 months old. Still a baby.....just have patience and try to make her a happy baby...enjoy this time with her. it goes by way too quickly and sleep time shouldn't be made a negative experience. She'll never learn to go to sleep on her own
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2009