Is there a certain # of cm dilated you could be that they will keep you (even if you are not in active labor or having regular contration?)

Maya09

Asked by Maya09 at 1:53 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had always heard 3cm but I walked around at least for a week at 3cm and they never told me to get ready for the hospital.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• idk
    with my 1st 1 was 4cm & they kept me & not sure about the contractions (it was 3 years a go sorry idr)
    with my 2nd i was 2cm & they kept me but i was having contractions every 5minutes
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:54 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Well I know that when I was pregnant with my first son, they wouldn't keep me until I was at least 2 cm dilated. But, I was in active labor too, so I'm not sure what the rule is when you aren't in active labor. I would think that they'd want you have regular contractions and such before they keep you. Unless you are getting induced.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I was 5cm and they told me to get to the Hospital.

Answer by louise2 at 1:56 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• If you are not in active labor, they probably wont keep you unless they think the baby is in trouble. Call your doc for any concerns you have!
    amandallamas

Answer by amandallamas at 1:57 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• normaly its 4 or 5 depending on your doctor, and previous labors, or current situation.

Good luck :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• If you arent in active labor, most hospitals wont keep you because its pointless! I was 4 cm at 35 weeks (5cm at 37 weeks) and was in L&D but since my dilation wasnt changing, they sent me home.

Staying at the hospital is pointless and you could end up being there for weeks if you arent dilating anymore
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:09 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I don't think it depends too much on how many cm you are dilated you are as much as how far along you are. I think both these things together make a big difference!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 2:25 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• We just did a labor and delivery tour at our hospital and were told 4cm is the standard to keep you but that a lot of other factors come into play. I was told they would monitor my contractions for about 30 minutes before deciding whether to admit me but that unless there seemed to be a need I would be sent home unless I was at least 4cm.
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 3:03 PM on Aug. 27, 2009