Where to start?

I am planning to adopt a third child in the next year or so (the other two I birthed) Where do I start? what should I look into? options? I'm really still turning it over in my head, but I want to make sure I'm informed befoe making such a huge decision

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 1:54 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Adoption

• To add to what PP said, different groups are great, but Cafemom may not be the best place to join up. I'd more look into groups at Adoption.com as the memebers there seem to be able to keep theirselves under control, whereas here is too often times another story.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• Start with Social Services, and an Adoption Agency
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I don't believe that adoption agencies provide accurate information about adoption, nor do most adoption attorneys. Check out sites like Ethica, Evan B. Donaldson and the Child Welfare Information Gateway for more honest information and how to achieve an ethical adoption. Only after you are thoroughly educated as to what to look for in an ethical agency should you look for an adoption agency. Sadly, far too many agencies that do domestic adoptions are prone to present adoption in a less than honest light. You need a balanced and educated view before you proceed.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 3:57 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• If you are looking for a child under 4 years old, an agency would be the best place to start. If you are looking for an older child, then contact your local DFS.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I'd suggest reading the "Adoption Resource Book". It provides lots of information on all aspects of adoption whether it be private, an agency or a foster situation. I found it to be very helpful.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 6:52 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Your options are foster adoption, international adoption, domestic special needs, or domestic infant adoption. You should research each option and prayerfully decide which suits your family best. From there, you will contact your local county (for foster adopt) or proceed with an agency that you fully research in order to assure that they are reputable.

I recommend Touched by Adoption here on cafemom as a safe and non-hostile group where you can ask questions and get answers from folks that have been there/done that from all types and sides of adoption.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:44 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• As for groups here at Cafemom, it could be very informative for you to check out several different groups....the Adoption Group....the birth mom group...and adoptee groups can all add to your knowledge. Marlou Russell has a great book called Adoption Wisdom, and her website has some really good articles.

Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 12:56 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I agree. Be cautious with groups on cafemom regarding adoption. Seems there are a few angry, anti-adoption women here that are very vocal and strive to hurt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Aug. 28, 2009

• I'm a member of the Adoption.com forums and those gals are very supportive. You can have very rational back-and-forth conversations with the ladies from all facets of the adoption world there! I highly recommend checking them out.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:03 PM on Aug. 28, 2009