How old was your child when you started potty training? How long did it take? What method did you use?

(I know there are other questions/answers about potty training, but none of the answers are specific enough!). My DD is almost 21 months and has been showing interest, so we started potty training a few days ago...and I'm just wondering how long it took other kids, how old they were, and what worked best! Thanks!

BeamerBruin

Asked by BeamerBruin at 1:56 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my dd was 2 years & 5 months old when i started potty training "full force" i'd take her every hour to the potty and i had a chart by the toilet & every time she used the potty i put a sticker on the chart

the chart was like a calender, nothing special
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:58 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• oh & it only took a month to get her day time potty trained...she pretty much trained herself at night a few months later... i'd take her to pee before bed & when her pull up was consistantly dry for a week i let her wear panties to bed
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Between a 1 and 11/2. Have DD's. I just kept putting them on the toilet tell they understood and knew to pee and poop there. My oldest was totally trained by 11/2. my youngest was day trained buy 1/12. But she wet the bed tell she was 5,6 years old.

Answer by louise2 at 2:01 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I started with both of my daughters at about 18 months. I just took them to the potty about every hour or so, and eventually the understood. My oldest was completely day time trained by 20 months (not completely night time trained until almost 3 though) and my youngest was day time trained by 21 months. (she's 27 months now and still pees at night) We didn't do any special reward system or anything, just a lot of praise when they went. good luck!
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 2:07 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I started when DSS was 18 months old. And it took about 9-10 months.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:07 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• my dd was 2 and i'd take her every 2 hrs to the potty during the day and at night for 3 nights. She was trained in a week. I expect accidents but havent had any yet. The older daycare kids helped encouraged her. She tries to keep up with them so I guess thats why she caught on so quickly.
    Se-Se

Answer by Se-Se at 2:14 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• lol i waited until my ds was almost 3.... we started at 2.5 he was trained at home in about 2 weeks.. but not at night or public... its been 7 months now and hes 100%.. day and night rarley ahs a accident... he dosent like public toilest though.. so if i KNOW we are going to be in public a long time ill put a diaper on him just incase.. noo need to humiliate him by making him wet his pants cause of his fear
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 2:20 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Both were age 3, It took one weekend. I waited until they were dry at night. Then I took them every half hour the first day. The second day I asked frequently. Then they were trained.

Answer by Bmat at 2:23 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My daughter is 2 1/2 and still not trained. She just has no interest whatsoever in the potty. She refuses to even say the word. I suppose that when she is ready, she will let us know. I'm not going to push her.
    crystac

Answer by crystac at 2:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• The truth is that there is no 'best way' and no 'standard time frame.' Every kid is ready and gets it under their belt in their own little time frame. AND, every kid responds to different methods differently. That said, if she's ready, you'll have an easier time training her. Sometimes kids that struggle most with mastering the bathroom are the ones with parents that either started before their kid was ready.

To answer your questions though. My son started playing with potty seat around 18 months old. We began to casually train at 26 months when he showed signs of readiness. At 2 1/2 yrs we made the leap to full-out effort and he was trained in a matter of days. My DD toyed around with the potty seat around 18 months old. She liked the idea but lacked the body control. We started to train for real at 2 1/2 yrs and she was trained in a day. We found their hot button - can't go to preschool in a diaper. It worked for us.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2009