How do I find the serving size for different fruits and veggies by the child’s weight?

For example: how many ounces of peas are a serving for a child which weighs 30 lbs.

Asked by at 2:16 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• Grains: Servings: 3-4 per day. Serving sizes: 1/2 slice of bread, 1/4 cup of cooked cereal, 1/4 cup of dry cereal. 1/4 cup of pasta, 2-3 saltine crackers, or 1/2 tortilla.

Non-dairy Proteins (meat, fish, beans, eggs): Servings: 2 per day. Serving sizes: 1/2 egg, 2-3 tablespoons beans (i.e. black, pinto, edamame, etc...), 1 tablespoon peanut butter, or 1 ounce of fish, lean beef, pork or chicken.

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I've always heard that a toddlers' serving size is the size of their fist. No idea about actual oz though, sorry.

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 2:25 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I've heard that too, but this morning I got thinking that would mean 1 or 2 strawberries. I can't imagine 1 strawberry would be 1 service of fruit for a child. That's when I got thinking about ounces.

Answer by at 2:28 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• this is what I found for toddlers

Serving Sizes for Toddlers
    By Cheryl Tallman and Joan Ahlers

Parents often wonder how much food their little ones (1-2 years old) should be eating.

Recent media coverage suggests over the past 20 years, restaurants and food companies have been increasing their serving sizes. This trend is considered to be a contributing factor in the rise in obesity (among adults and children).

We all know that children should eat less than adults. After all, they are smaller. The following are some serving size guidelines for a 1-2 year old that may help you out.

Milk/Dairy: Servings: 16-20 ounces of milk per day. Whole milk, soy or rice milk are recommended. Other equivalents: 1/2-3/4 ounce of cheese = 4 ounces of milk. 1/4 cup of yogurt = 2 ounces of milk.

Fruits and veggies: Servings: 5 or more per day. Serving size: 1-2 tablespoons - Pureed, mashed, or cubed.<

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:35 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• If you cut 'em up you could probably squeeze in a third one, lol. And if the reccomendation is to have 2-3 servings a day you could have more than one serving in a sitting, like one serving of strawberries w/ lunch, but a whole banana (which would be two servings) as a snack later to make up the 3 servings per day. (Not sure if that makes sense the way I wrote it....)

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 2:38 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• wait how old is your child. I just saw it said for a 2-3 year old.

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:40 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I just found this:
    If I'm reading that correctly my 2 year old is eating around 5 servings of fruit and 5 servings of veggies every day and not nearly enough grain.

Answer by at 2:41 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I have 2 girls ages 2 and 5 years.

Answer by at 2:42 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• LOL I'm looking at that link again and I realize if I ate 6 - 9 servings of bread, cereal, rice or pasta everyday my backside would be the size of my chair!

Answer by at 2:45 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• another site sais a typical young child's serving is 1/4 the adult size.

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 27, 2009