how can u tell how far..............

i read on ea the other day u can tell ur self how dilated u r but i just wanted 2 no how u can tell wot do u need 2 do?? sorry first time mom n due in 4 days n just wanted 2 no...

molyneux88

Asked by molyneux88 at 2:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I don't know, my doctor always told me, or a doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• You'd need a reference for what 1 cm, 2 cm, 3 cm etc of dilation feels like. A nostril is about 1 cm, a fingertip is about 2 cm, etc. I would not recommend doing self checks because you risk introducing germs into your vagina and uterus, and it really doesn't tell you much. A lot of women don't dilate at all until they are in active labor, and a lot of other women walk around several centimeter dilated for weeks before they deliver.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• my idwife is on holiday if i rang the hospital wot wud i say 4 them 2 do an examination
    molyneux88

Answer by molyneux88 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• As a PP said it's not a good idea to do self examinations, you could acidentally do something and cause some damage. As far as calling the hospital they won't do an exam just because you want them to, you generally have to be having contractions or have something going on that worries you. If you are just concerned about how dilated you are I wouldn't worry about it, it doesn't mean anything till the baby is ready to come. Like riotgrrl said you could be dilated for weeks and not have a baby.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 4:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2009