pacifier question

my son is 9 months and i want to take his pacifier away. I am planning on going cold turkey. he only uses it to fall asleep. How long do you think it will take before he can sleep without it. I'm so nervous about the nights to come and nap times, ugh. I know he will scream bloody murder if he doesnt have it. Any suggestions?? and do you think 9 months is too young?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is 3 and still uses the paci at night, but I'm afraid I let her go too long with it. Now it will be impossible to take it from her without many a sleepless night.....I stopped her from using it all day at 12 months.

If I were to do it all again, I'd take the paci from her during the day at 12 months and at night by 18 months. I don't think 9 months is too early and from all I've heard, cold turkey is the only way to do it.

Good luck!!!!
    Imogen13

Answer by Imogen13 at 2:34 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I can't really help you on the taking away the pacifier as my son didn't really like it and quit on his own while still very young. However, I do not think that 9 months is too young to take it away. My mom took it away from me at 6 months and I turned out just fine :) Personally, I think the younger the better so they don't get too attached. I was planning on taking my son's away at 6 months.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 2:35 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I wouldn't take it from him, it's not bothering him, maybe you a bit, but it's a comfort thing for him, I'd wait till after a year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Even as I type this I am listening to my 11 month-old ds screaming his little head off because we went cold turkey on the binky as of yesterday. He only took it at naps and bedtime, so it shouldn't be too difficult. He's cried each time for about 15 minutes, but then he tires out and goes to sleep. It will be a little tough on your baby, but hang in there, he will get used to not having it pretty quickly. Ohh, it's quiet now, I think he fell asleep, yea!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 2:40 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• We took our daughter's away at 8 months; it was drama-free.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:46 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• personally, I took it away around 14 or 15 months. We'd only used it for bedtime/naps since about 7 or 8 months. Anyhow, we thought it would be hard but she cried an extra 5 minutes maybe the first few nights then was fine. I offered a subsituation. Since she was older, I gave her a soft toy to sleep with so she'd have that to cuddle. it helped a little.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• If I were you, I'd take it away now. My son is 20 months old and still uses his. I'm not looking forward to taking it away. I will not be giving my new baby a pacifier.
    militarywife976

Answer by militarywife976 at 2:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• we went cold turkey but in an odd way with our oldest...when she turned 1, we cut the tips off all her binkys...she then got mad at them and tossed them....didnt like them after that....lol
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 3:41 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• When you do, throw them all away! Out of sight, out of mind. I broke my daughter at 10 months and it took about 2 nights for her to forget about it. She was a nap/bedtime paci user. It was easier than I realized and not having any of them around made it impossible for me to cave.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:26 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My son is 2 and he uses his pacifier at naptime and bed. I want to take it away because nothing irritates me are 5 year olds walking with pacifiers. I myself won't know how to get rid of them.
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 8:13 PM on Aug. 27, 2009