Should we go to the doctors because of poison ivy?

My 28 month old has a bit of poison ivy on her chest. It appears to be spreading and I don't know if this is something she should be seen for, in case there is something in particular I should be treating it with. For now we've been cleaning it with rubbing alcohol in hopes of drying it out and calamine lotion to ease the itch. Does anyone have advice as to how I should be treating it, and whether she should be seen by a doctor?

imagen

Asked by imagen at 2:30 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• baken soda in a warm bath helps sooth it.. or mix water and some baken soda to make a past acts like calmin lotion just cheaper.. i would call and ask to speak to a nurse maybe they can help.. also make sure she dosent itch it cause it will spread...everywere..we used mittens..good luck i feel for your lil one xo and you (:
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 2:34 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I'd say call your doctor. Maybe if this is the first time, they would want to see her. I asked our pharmacist for suggestions, since calamine wasn't helpful at all for me. The pharmacist suggested some products that would clean the oils off and help with the itch, but I don't know about a 2 year old.

Answer by Bmat at 2:34 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• When my 2yo came in contact with poison ivy my dr told me to go to walmart and buy a tecnu kit. It's a poison ivy treatment right by the calamine lotions. It works wonders and its like a 3 step kit with a gel for removing the oils, bath scrub and clear gel for after the bath. It went away in a couple of days.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 2:46 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• if it keeps spreading and doesnt get better call the ped asap! it can get into the bloodstream...my friend had that happen....when it does you need an oral med
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 3:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• As momotrips said, technu works. This is what the pharmacist recommended for me.

Answer by Bmat at 4:49 PM on Aug. 27, 2009