recently i lost my job and being 5 months pregnant i am having a hard time finding someone that will hire me. would like to do something from home since my family cannot live off of one income. Any Ideas for work at home with no start up fees or monthly charges?

citty1399

Asked by citty1399 at 2:46 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• Sorry to hear about the job loss. A company is not allowed to not hire you based on your pregnancy. That being said, many people still won't hire someone if she is pregnant. If you're not showing much, cover it up the best you can for interviews and do not tell them. If you get a job, let them know a couple of weeks after being hired that you are having a baby. If that just doesn't work for you, then how about trying temp work? It is a great way to get contacts and a possible permanant job after the baby arrives. For your actual question, I do not know of any home opportunities that don't require start up fees. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I do not recommend covering it up. That is basically lying and you wouldn't want to start off in that direction, would you? I do agree with the pp about looking for temp work. I've tried to find valid work from home and it just hasn't happened. Believe me, I've invested lots of time and money trying to find something where you don't have to keep forking out money in order to earn it. You may want to seriously consider the temporary route. Good luck to you!
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 3:15 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Sure.  I have created a series of work at home articles on eHow.  They contain excellent resources, ideas and information.  Also, I have a Blog about computer jobs sorted into those that pay via Paypal and those that pay utilizing other means.  You can check them all out at my website:

www.athome.yolasite.com

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• You can search for jobs that match your skillset and have a telecommute or remote option. Do you have a former employer you could work for remotely? If you have a computer with high speed internet & Microsoft Office Pro & have at least intermediate MS Office skills, you should be able to find work as a virtual assistant (VA). For more information, go to www.ivaa.org.
    Do you have a skill or experience that you can turn into a home based business? I have a friend who makes children's hair accessories in her basement & sells them to boutiques around the Midwest. My husband runs a handyman business from our home. I work from home with two lines of business; I do freelance bookkeeping & business organization; I also do career & job search coaching. I am always happy to help cafemoms (and dads) with resumes, cover letters, job search strategy & interview preparation.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:04 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• First of all Congrats on the pregnancy!!!
    I'm so.. sorry about your job loss. It's tough to live off of one income right now. Times are tough. I recently started working from home to make some extra money. I must say I really enjoy doing what I do. I work with a great team of Moms. We help people create income from home. No parties, No inventory, No MLM! Just A SAFE, SIMPLE, SENSIBLE, and SOLID ... NO-RISK HOME BUSINESS. You get a free website and unlimited training and support.

I’d love to tell you more about our wonderful team and introduce you to the business!
    Erika
    Visit me at:
    www.4MyFamilyandMe.com

mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 4:05 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• http://www.scentsy.com/My2Scents

There is a startup fee, but it's so worth it. I love this job. I have been able to stay home and raise my kids. It's really fun, and easy. If it's something you're interested in, just let me know. I'd love to help with any questions.
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 5:18 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Why don't you try selling Avon? Its inexpensive to start up and you can do a good part of your work online. With dedication you can make it your full time job! Its easy to start just go to www.start.youravon.com use reference code dhullum Email me if you have any questions! Good luck to you!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 6:47 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• http://stuckathomemom.com/ Stuck At Home Mom was featured on the evening news as a TRUSTED work at home resource. All jobs are legitimate and come with weekly paychecks. No large payments to "The Mom Team" every month. Real jobs pay YOU!

Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 10:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• If looking for a JOB, what are your marketable skills and previous experiences? If you are looking for a BUSINESS, go with your passions, things that interest and motivate you the most. Build a list and use that to begin your search. General rule of thumb: Never pay for a job (businesses, on the other hand, usually involve some expenses).

The most common work at home JOBS pertain to customer service, administration, sales, tutoring, writing, consulting, healthcare, marketing, and technical support. There are also many legitimate home BUSINESS opportunities in direct sales, affiliate programs, and network/referral marketing.

Find a rep to contact, check out their websites, ask questions, do your own independent research. Check resources such as www.bbb.org for potential scams. I also have several resources for finding legitimate work from home opportunities in Working Mom Entrepreneurs group and Work From Home site.
    nuwave06

Answer by nuwave06 at 4:47 PM on Aug. 28, 2009