My son will be 10 mos on the 4th and imitates from time to time. Should he be copying me more at this age or is that an older skill?

I just asked this question in 0-12 mos but wanted to put it in here in case it was an older skill. Thanks

morrisonkm9

Asked by morrisonkm9 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No thats pretty normal for that age thats how they learn alot of there skills. My daughter started copying me at about 7 months. I would show her how to turn the lights on and off a couple times then she would do it. Also waving byebye you need to wave byebye and say byebye and then he will do it after a couple times. If you do it then they will want to do it.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 2:54 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• So he should be copying me more? He doesnt copy me everytime and I didnt know if he was too young for that? I thought he should be copying me more than he does.
    morrisonkm9

Answer by morrisonkm9 at 2:57 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• He shouldn't necessarily be copying you more just try different hand gestures and see if he will copy you. If you do it over and over then he will eventually catch on. Dont stress about if he's behind schedule or ahead of schedule all babies go there own pace.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 3:09 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Nope normal. That is a good time to start telling him....Where's your ear and point to it. When he gets that down, move to another part of body or another gesture. But keep reviewing ones he knows! We do it every day.....we call them his tricks!! So fun.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:50 PM on Aug. 27, 2009