Would you classify yourself as...

Redneck? LOL. I think I'm redneck by association. DH hunts with a bow AND a gun, drives a jacked up pickup that I (at 35weeks) can't even seem to climb into, and sports a camo hat everywhere but church. (Even when he was in the hospital after having a heart attack, he still had that damn thing on his head!) He's not a drinker, though. That's gotta count for something. Are you (or your SO) a redneck? How or why?

mmmommy0207

Asked by mmmommy0207 at 2:49 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No, but I've done some things that could be considered Redneck.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 2:55 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Nay.
    HollyLucination

Answer by HollyLucination at 3:06 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I don't think we are the typical "trashy" version of rednecks that most people think of when they hear that word. I consider us more of extreme southerners than rednecks, but I don't get offended by the term. Why? Well lets see, SO's ENTIRE family hunts including the women, but we don't we just don't have the time, they hunt every season with every type od weapon, and even have another house in another county just for their hunting lodge. SO and I fish alot, we like dirt track and drag racing, and are looking to buy a car so we can race too. SO has a truck designated for mudding, jacked up with the works! We do live in a trailer, but it's nice one not in a trailer park. We have various things fixed with duck tape lol, and sweet tea is the only exceptable drink, and home cooking is the best!!
    Rhimeadows1

Answer by Rhimeadows1 at 3:08 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• No. The origins of the term redneck actually go back to the 1930's in a number of disputes in West Virginia. A large group of unionized miners marched south to Logan County, to pressure the mine owners there to allow their miners to become unionized. To identify themselves, the miners all wore red bandannas around their necks. The publicity associated with the battles and the subsequent court cases created the term red-necks, and at that time they were viewed as the good guys in the conflict.

as for the racist term, no I don't consider myself a redneck either. I wish this term would stop.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I am through marriage. The things my husband's family does and their ideas and the lack of standards, the obsessive hunting. They have 40 acres and it's littered with old trailers, camping buses and campers,cars and trucks, All of them wear caps no matter what. There's even 1st cousin relationships and an aunt and nephew relationship ( yes they "get it on"). Sometimes I think I should have never brought my son into this type of family. I married my husband before really getting to know the rest of the family. I'm not uppity, I was born in a farming town in North Dakota. In my family we go outside the family for relations, lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Nope, and I don't consider you and your husband rednecks, either. You sound like good ole country folk to me - just the kind of people I like to make friends with!
    I know the term redneck has been dragged through the dirt and given a bad rap, but so has country bumpkin and yet I am proud to call myself a country bumpkin, not because I'm poor, ignorant white trash, but because I'm happiest in the country living off the land the good Lord provided me!
    ♥
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2009