Renting question! I need help please... if anything to calm my nerves!

We put a deposit down on a house and haven't heard anything from our future landlords, except an email saying they'd be in contact later this week and we're supposed to move in next week. We have a contract, paid them deposit, pet deposit, and first month's rent. I've been starting to get this overwhelming feeling that something isn't quite right. Maybe it's the pregnancy hormones intensifying my natural tendency to worry! (I know such a bad habit to have) But, what do I do if they never call us back and just took our money and ran?

We did sign a lease and I'm a super freak and did a background check on her before we paid the cashier's check. Everything checked out and she rents about 15 homes. She has no felonies, or anything. She is not a realtor, but we found her through either rent.com or beaufortrentals.com, I can't remember which site.

bethany_smith

Asked by bethany_smith at 3:10 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Home & Garden

• You didn't say how many days had gone by since her email message. If she said that she will call you when the house is cleaned and ready for a walk through, then I don't see any need to panic. Unless it's a situation where you have called and emailed several times and got no response. She is perhaps just busy. Waaayyyy too soon to overreact and start calling the renter's rights offices and making waves! You do not get keys until the first date of occupancy according to your agreement, NOT before.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 5:33 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Call her! If for nothing else but to make you feel better, call her and ask her a question. Even a dumb one, like if you are allowed to paint your kids bedroom wall or something. Ask when and where you are going to pick up the key, etc. You have put a lot of money into this rental, so you need your fears calmed about it. Good luck!
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• i agree with slw123!!!! Call her immediatly!!!! A follow up cant hurt, and it surely will put your mind at ease!
    swimmachic23

Answer by swimmachic23 at 3:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• do you already have the keys? if so dont worry! if you dont have the keys thats not right! you should have gotten the keys the same time you made the payment! give her a call!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 3:34 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I did call her and left a message. She emailed me and said she'd contact me when the house was cleaned out and ready for a walk through.
    bethany_smith

Answer by bethany_smith at 3:42 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Phone her back and ask her to set a date and time for the walkthrough. If there is a renters' rights office in your area, you should contact them to see what your options are.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:07 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Hey gosh i got your question make sure you keep up with the lease you signed, thats inportant and a reciept for the money you paid, If you do not here from this woman , you can go to general sessions court and file a complaint on here, This is a civil matter , but you can get your money back, you just have to do it by the way of court!! If she did this to run with your money then shes a fraud, and that becomes a criminal act!! . I will pray that this works out for you, the way the economy is we as struugling folks trying to make it do not need to be ripped off!! So keep your faith strong and your friends will be praying , God knows your needs!! Please let me know how this turns out for you ok . Love in christs name sweethonesty!
    sweethonesty520

Answer by sweethonesty520 at 4:57 PM on Aug. 27, 2009