Picky 19mth Old Eater! Help!

My Son is so picky he will not eat any meat or veg other then cheese hot dogs. I am worried he is not getting what he needs. Anytime I put something new infront of him he pushes it away and will refuse to eat till the next day. Here is a list of what He will eat. I give him chewable viatmens just to make up what he does not get from food. Will this ever change? The Doc says he needs to gain some weight. What about something like V8 juice or those new Gerber smart sips for picky toddlers? He is also VERY VERY allergic to anything with eggs or peanuts in them.

Cereal (fruit loops)
Pretzels
Fruits Any kind
Yogurt
Cheese
Cheese hot dogs

alissa0122

Asked by alissa0122 at 3:10 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if the doc is reccomending him to gain weight then go with pediasure...that should help....but use this as a backup! dont need him getting the idea that hey if i dont eat she will give me that nifty drink! lol
    but dont just try a food on him once and give up....some kids need several exposures to a food before they decide..hey i like this! keep trying!!!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 3:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• This is pretty much a power struggle. Every time you give into what your child wants he knows he will be the victor. I had this problem with my son also. I stuck to it. My son lived with his father for 2 and a half years and it was awful! He was addicted to soda at 8 months old and had nothing but fast food. He even went thru a gallon of milk within 2 days.. Lets just say when I got my son back I had that and so much more to fix. He would not eat anything! He would scream for mcdonalds and so forth. Water? Ha! He screamed! People told me to slowly adjust things for him and to pick the battles. Well, my son is 3 now and at the moment he is eating lunch. He had whole wheat bread with watercress, carrots and cucumbers with a side of mushrooms, bell peppers and tomatoes. It can be done! And he drinks tons of water now! You just have to be consistent with it. Dont give in. Put it in the frigd if he dont want it and wait!
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 3:43 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• theres a pretty cool cookbook by jessica seinfeld that has normal kid friendly food but she purees things like squash or carrots or spinache and adds them to the recipe and you cant even taste that its in there! one of them is these blueberry oatmeal bars (what kid wouldnt love those?!) and they are made with pureed spinache. worth a shot! good luck!
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 5:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• If your son is eating fruit and getting plenty of breastmilk then he will be fine.

I would encourage fruit.

Also for fat I would give him avocado. It is an acquired taste but if you squeeze some lemon/lime and then mash it he may like that. My son does. This is great for essential fats without having to rely on dairy products.

Generally though some kids do not each much food until past 2 if they are nursing. My son is nearly 2 and hardly eats much solids yet but it is increasing.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 9:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• As far as his nutrition goes, vitamins don't really cut it. Nutrition drinks are better. I prefer Reliv, Now for Kids in chocolate. My 22mo DD started with the vanilla at only 2 months. The drinks are better than tablets because with the drinks they get about 90% or more of the vitamins. With tablets, it is on it's way through the digestive track before you get through absorbing about 35% or so. I chose Reliv because of the Dr. who invented it. He use to work Mead Johnson creating infant formulas, and I had my oldest on it 14 yrs ago (before pediasure) I would really recommend cutting back on hot dogs unless they are made without nitrates/nitrites etc. As he gets older, he will get more interested in food. As previously said, babies that are nursed past 1&2 have less interest in big guy foods. Also, does he like pizza? Pizza isn't that bad if you work out what is in it. Try veggie pizzas, add a little fruit. :)
    BunniBunni

Answer by BunniBunni at 1:21 AM on Aug. 28, 2009