3 year old afraid of every bug there is!

My nephew who is three got stung last year. Now everytime he goes outside he flips if he sees anything flying! he screams and runs from butterflies hes really really afraid of butterflies he won't even come out and when he see one he runs in the house. I'm 8 months pregnant and don't want my son to pick up this habit. My mom and i just don't know what to do! the weird thing is he loves worms and such. just hates anything that flies and we have tried i think just about everything!!!!! any advice?

suckedintolife

Asked by suckedintolife at 3:14 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 3 yo was the same way. He wasn't stung, he had an ant crawling on his foot and totally flipped out, screamed like he was on fire, scaring the heck out of us. For the next couple months he was terrifed of any bug, he'd try to climb up me if he saw one, but I just kept telling him that bugs were little and he was big, and that he was so big the bugs were scared of him. Now he likes to go out and stomp on bugs, and while he doesn't like bugs, he doesn't run screaming anymore.

Is your nephew scared of fake bugs? Could you try to desensitize him by having plastic butterflies and bugs around for him to play with? Or have you tried catching butterflies and letting him look at them through a glass jar? Maybe get a book about bugs and what they're like and how some of them are good and eat mosquitos and things like that? The Very Hungry Caterpillar tells how a caterpillar becomes a butterfly, my son loves it.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:25 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My daughter had this same problem and its probally not the best soulution but her father taught it to her. She was affraid of lady bugs, so he told her look they dont hurt you just STOMP ON THEM. It only took days before she was dancing around stomping of insects. a few months later shes not scared anymore and carries all kinds of bugs around.
    mememecassie

Answer by mememecassie at 6:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2009