On-line students...what do you pay

How much do you pay per year for your classes?
What are you going for?
How long will it take you to get the degree?
How much time per /day/week do you spend on the computer working?

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 3:21 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in

• We have lived in AZ a little over a year and are now residents. My son is registering right this second for full time online classes for just over $700! We are from IN and can't believe how cheap it is.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 3:28 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right choice for you.
    When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools

The rule of thumb for homework/study time for college classes is three hours a week per class hour. So if you are taking 3 3hour classes, you need to budget 27 hours a week for homework/studying.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:20 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I spent a LOT of money (student loans when I was told I was receiving full grants) on an online school. I won't say which one, but they do a lot of advertising on TV. I spent 6 hours a day taking classes, (I was an honor roll student in high school) and never could get in touch with a teacher if I needed help. I would say save your money, there are places online where you can take free classes. Just search Free college courses online and it will give you a list. Outside of that, I would start at a Community College.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 5:36 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

Next question in
Would you be ready for a change?

Next question overall (Just for Fun)
FOR SAHM: