What are your thoughts on Michael Steele?

Challenged to explain his inconsistent view of the appropriate government role in health care, Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele accused his interviewer of being "cute" and doing a "wonderful little dance."

In an exchange that grew testy quickly, Steele told NPR Thursday morning that there was nothing contradictory about accusing the president of raiding Medicare while also insisting that the government-run program is a financial failure.

And when host Steve Inskeep called Steele out for promoting government involvement in regulating the private health care insurance market, things grew heated - certainly by NPR standards - culminating in a frustrated Steele asking Inskeep "What don't you understand?"

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112281170

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:21 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I hope he isn't holding his breath for an answer to that question. I wonder the same thing daily.
    I like him and think he is doing a good job in getting Republicans to come around. He is out there talking just as much or more than many Republicans. One thing I think he needs to do is pay more attention to the fact that not everyone is a Dem or a Republican and he needs to address the 3rd party people and independants
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:30 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• One thing I think he needs to do is pay more attention to the fact that not everyone is a Dem or a Republican and he needs to address the 3rd party people and independants

Do you think he can do that with balance because of his being president of the RNC? Or is that really the smart way to go, including as many 3rd party voters into that "tent" as possible?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:36 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I missed this on Morning Edition today. It was interesting.

For those who can't spend seven minutes listening, there's a transcript.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:47 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I'm a third party voter (FORMER Republican), an Steele is doing absolutely NOTHING to bring me back around.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I think Steeles hands are tied. He may be the head of the RNC, but he speaks for a group and they have to be united on their message. The more I get into politics the more I am finding myself as an Independent. I am horridly disappointed in the spending Bush did while in office and horrified on a larger scale with what this administration plans to do / spend. Republicans and Democrats used to be different than they are now. Republicans used to be conservative, but I don't know what they are anymore. I am conservative on many fronts, but I am finding that nobody in DC is working for me, they are all working for their special interests. And if you don't have special interests, you don't go anywhere in politics.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:26 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• but I am finding that nobody in DC is working for me, they are all working for their special interests. And if you don't have special interests, you don't go anywhere in politics

THATS the catch 22 in politics today! My uncle (VERY conservative) had this conversation this past weekend

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:34 PM on Aug. 27, 2009