Tell me about your religious beliefs/ belief structure

I was raised Catholic for about 8 years until my Luthern mom made my Catholic dad start taking us to church by himself, then he quit. I briefly attened Episcopal church and summer camp in my early teens. My in-laws are Jehovah's Witnesses (hubby is not). I have had trouble my entire life finding a religion or belief structure that fits me and that I can believe in. I usually need to see to believe, but I want to believe in something. I was diagnosed with Bipolar at 19, my mom died a slow painful death from cancer when I was 23, my first pregnancy was a miscarriage, my second pregnancy preemie twins (they are fine now). Through out all of this I have felt alone and lost. I have really tried to believe in a God or a higher power because I thought that maybe that would ease my pain. Knowing there is a higher power watching over us and guiding us would be a big comfort. But I can't seem to find faith. Please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:35 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Remember the footprints in the sand poem? Sometimes we only see one set of footprints in the sand and we think they're ours, walking by ourselves when really, the lone set of footprints belongs to Jesus carrying us.

My belief system is very simple. I am a creation of God who loved me so much, he sent Jesus to die to make a way that I might be in heaven with him. I pray and read the Bible and follow God's words in the Bible and on my heart to determine my path. My life isn't always easy but I firmly believe that it is easier than it would be without him. I see prayers answered in physical ways and can identify God's very real interventions in my life, although I don't always understand or see it right away.

God does not delight in our sorrows. For example, even though Jesus knew Lazarus would be in heaven when he died, he wept because of Mary's pain over the loss of her brother (John 11:31-35). (continued...)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:05 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I am Presbyterian because I personally agree with the philosophical views and hermeneutics of that particular denomination. But I want you to know that Luthran, Episcopal, Presbyterian...whatever the denomination, it doesn't matter. Your relationship with Jesus matters and finding a church that after prayer and seeking God's will makes you say "YES! This is it!" is so important. Your personal walk with him is so, so, so much more important than what religious group you ascribe yourself to. Pray and seek his face.

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. (Matthew 7:7-8)

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

If you ever need to talk OP, PM me.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:09 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I am Pagan. I believe in a God and a Goddess. I believe that all gods are one god but that each of us have a different view and relationship with the creator. I believe in magick. and i use it often. I believe in balance in nature. I believe in reincarnation and what many Pagans call The Summer Lands. I celebrate Yule, Samhain, Full Moons and many other holidays as well. I do a lot of meditation. Which is something that i am now recommending to you. If you have not meditated before, you should google it and try it out. It can be what you are looking for. It can be that link that helps you find yourself and the faith that is best for you. If you have any questions feel free to PM. GL and Blessed Be.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:12 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I don't go to church because it seems like every time I go, they ask for money from me. And not offering - Like their whole sermon is about money. I don't want to hear a sermon about money.
    BUT I have a lot of faith. My belief system is very simple - I just do what I think Jesus would do. Or act how I think Jesus would act. It's very hard and I don't always do it when I should but I try. I believe in God and Jesus. I believe in goodness and just trying to be good and to have a good heart. I don't want to see anybody suffer and I would help anybody who asked me for it if I could. I also try to thank God for all the goods things - like when good things happen to me , instead of just when bad thing happens. I am also grateful for bad things that happen (as long as it isn't death of someone I love, obviously) because it's a chance for me to learn. I don't believe that just because something bad happens that God is punishing....
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 5:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Actually, I'm sure it's a 'consequences of your actions' kinda thing, if something bad happens. Or if it's not consequences and it's something bad, I just try to find the good. For every up there is a down. For every down, there is an up. I just try to stay positive - as best as I can. :-D
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 5:20 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• First of all, I want to say I'm so sorry about your mother. That must have been agonizing, and heart-wrenching to go through. I can only imagine.

Have you visited http://www.catholicscomehome.org/ ? It's a super-cool website!

This probably sounds REALLY stupid, but baptism (I'm assuming you were baptized as an infant if you were raised Catholic til 8 years old) puts a permenant mark on your soul and you become an adopted child of God. Maybe the Holy Spirit has been tugging at your heart.

It's good to hear that you are looking for something.

I've totally read on Church history and the Early Church Fathers, and have a lot fo Q&A Catholic books, so if you have a question you are more than welcome to send me a message. I will do my best to answer. And if your in-laws have a Catholic question (since they're JW) you can ask me and I will do my best to answer.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 8:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• sense you seem to want to believe in a higher power my religion isnt for you lol (satanism) good luck finding the right path for you :)

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 8:38 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• All belief is delusion, there is only here and now.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 8:48 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I'm really sorry to hear about your mother and everything else.

My beliefs are a mixture of beliefs. I don't believe in a higher power. I believe in a reincarnation in the form of recycling our bodies natural energies. And base most of by beliefs around said energies.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:16 PM on Aug. 27, 2009