Would you flush a beta fish down the toilet if you didn't want it?

I know it's so mean, but I got a beta fish as a "gift" and I totally don't want it. I don't want to care for it or anything. I'm seriously considering flushing it, but that's so bad. I don't want to be a fish killer! Can I donate it to a pet store or something?

sugarmama01

Asked by sugarmama01 at 3:59 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Pets

• I hope you're able to engender your three children with more compassion than you seem to have Sugarmama. You don't sound very sweet at all. Also, what you're thinking of doing is a terrible example to set in terms of teaching your children responsibility. The first time they encounter an ethical dilemma, are you just going to suggest they take the easy way out? What a shame, especially considering you work in law...
    momofadoc

Answer by momofadoc at 10:37 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Do you not live around any ponds or something?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Well, I don't think they would take a fish back into the store. If you really don't want it, yes, flush it. It's not a big deal. I flushed one by accident one time, I thought it was dead, it was just having babies. I flushed it only to go back and find babies all over the tank. I was so upset with myself. But, hey, it's life. Don't worry about it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:01 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Lol. I have considered it myself. My husband asked me today, "Did you feed the fish?" I said no but it was by design.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I think it's kind of cruel, personally.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Don't flush it and don't put it in a pond--either way it would die. Just take it to a pet store they will take it. I worked in several pet stores and took in many pets of all kinds.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 4:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• omg cruelty to fish! oh no! flush the stupid thing... i flushed a sick fish instead of trying to make it better lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• why don't you offer it to some kids on your street or a neighbor, or your childs friends at school. I personally would not flush it down the toilet. I think it's mean. You could also bring it to the classroom. See if the teacher would keep it there. There are MANY more options than killing a life that didn't ask to be there in the first place.

I love my beta though...he's a great, easy pet.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:04 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• No, personally I wouldn't- there are so many other options without killing it. I would offer it to your child's class as a pet, offer it to a pet store, ask around your kids' friends, etc.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:07 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I think the method she is talking about using is cruel. I mean, It's kind of cruel to kill an innocent animal all together for no reason, but if it were going to be done no matter what, at least do it quickly or something, you know? Idk, maybe you could give the little fish a chance. They're not hard to take care of.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Aug. 27, 2009