Does your baby sleep through the night? When did your baby start sleeping through the night? How did you accomplish this?

MommyOfJayden23

Asked by MommyOfJayden23 at 4:01 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Remember that sleepignthrough the night is a mere five hours. And it's often not achieved in the first six months. Dusk to dawn, often not till past the first birthday.

I *tried* everything that was on the market at the time, from CIO to white noise. NOTHING I did worked.

What did? I stopped trying to get him to sleep and paid attention to HIS patterns. He started sleeping longer stretches.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:06 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My baby is 20 months old and has only slept the whole night a few times. Babies sleep on their own when they are ready to. It is a developmental milestone that they all achieve in their own time.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 4:07 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• my son is 3 months and just started sleeping for 5-6 hrs at night. i guess some of it might have been on his own, but i did take some advice from an article which was to give him a bedtime routine, the same time every night before you want him to go to bed - like a warm bath, massage, etc., and keep night time feeding very quiet. dont really talk to him, just give him soft kisses, keep it dark and quiet so that he knows the difference between day and night. and if he does wake up in the night, try giving him a pacifier and see if he goes back to sleep first. GL - you must be as tired as me!!! lol
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:08 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• You should get a copy of Baby Wise by Ezzo and Bucknam. Great book!
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 4:10 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My son started at 12 months. I tried everything before that and he just wouldn't. The pp mentioned Baby Wise and I would recommend it as well. Although it did not work for me, it worked well for a friend and her two children. They slept through the night at a fairly young age. It may work for you.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 4:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Babywise is a book linked to many problems & is actually seen as a 'red flag' for CPS workers in CA. Please look heavily into this book & author before purchasing.

Sleep is a developmental milestone reached in baby's own time and as Gdiamante said it is considered a 5 hour stretch. Baby will sleep through the night eventually.  Hang on and follow baby's cues. Good Luck!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My son was sleeping 8 hours at 10 weeks, 12 hours at 11 weeks after I gave him a pacifier in the middle of the night instead of a bottle. My daughter started sleeping 11 hours at 7 weeks, and I didn't do a thing to make it happen.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:44 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My son started at 9 wks, and my daughter around 10 wks. And this was a straight 9 hours or so. All I have done was just make sure that they were fed right before I layed them down. Even if it wasn't time for them to eat. I just would top them off even if it was only 2oz or so.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 5:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Every baby is different, but definately start setting up a bedtime routine to help them understand when it's bedtime. Start this routine in a dim room and start about an hour before you want your baby to go to sleep. It may take a while for them to catch on, but just keep at it. After we consistently followed the bedtime routine for about a month my baby started going to sleep at the same time every night and waking up at the same time.
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 5:25 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Tried Babywise for sleep. Fail.

Be aware that Ezzo's methods are linked to Failure to Thrive. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends NOT to buy this book.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:38 PM on Aug. 27, 2009