Question for those that use or tried CIO method

How old was baby when you tried it and did it work? How long did it take?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I probably started.....around 8ish months(shes 10 months now). If she was clean, fed, and not too hot/too cold and it was bedtime, I let her cry a bit. She does it rarely. Usually only when she's overtired.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• We tried with the Ferber method at 11 months old... it worked in 3 days with very little crying... only 8 minutes TOTAL
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:48 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I use it, but couldn't really say when. Even from the start, my duaghter didn't like to be rocked to sleep so I laid her down she tired. So she got into that habbit early on. Usually, if I let her cry it out it was becuase she was over tired or made at me for taking her paci away. She's two, and I'll still let her cry ito ut for the same reasons. She fights sleep so much more now, but in general she's good about going to bed on her own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• About eight months, gave it a week and declared it a failure....the amount of crying NEVER changed from day to day.

I have a feeling that since my son is an Aspie the effort was doomed from the start. I found that the best way to get him to sleep was to stop trying to get him to sleep.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:23 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• It really depends on the child. My son was fine with crying it out, my daughter would scream until she threw up and passed out, I couldn't put her through that.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 5:23 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• We started around 2 mos. We did a sort of modified CIO where we would go in every 10-20 mins. to pat her. The thing is, she cried all the time whether we were holding her or not, so it wasn't really that horrible to endure, but of course, it sucks to hear your baby cry. Now she can put herself to sleep and only really cries if she is sick, overtired, or still hungry. She is almost 6 mos.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 6:12 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I tried it with my son when he was about a year old and it would take him about 30 minutes to fall asleep and it got shorter as time went on. Then he got sick and it all went out the window. I have tried it with my little girl and she will not go to sleep that way. She has cried for over 2 hours and refuses to go to sleep.
    JenBrainard

Answer by JenBrainard at 9:00 AM on Aug. 28, 2009