When do you take kids to the dentist for the first time?

I have always thought it was when the first tooth came in. So when my DD cut a tooth, I called the children's dentist, and his receptionist said they take patients starting at 3yrs unless there's a problem. But THEN I got a letter in the mail REMINDING me to take my DD to the dentist at the eruption of the first tooth...
So what's what? I'm confused now bc the dentist won't see her...

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 4:56 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well speaking a certified D.A. you are encouraged to take your child at the time of first tooth eruption b/c then the dentist can tell you all you need to know about taking care of your infants tooth(LoL). Many dentist wont see a child that young simply b/c of the cost for the visit. They dont get "paid" and there really arent any follow up execpt for cleanings, and the hyg gets the money from that. It really is important that you find a dentist that will see your baby (pediatric dentistry) and help in the beginning stages of oral hygiene.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 5:11 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• It is confusing! My pediatrician told me around two years. Dentists say when the first tooth comes in or by one year, but when you call for an appointment they won't take them before two or three years. I'm taking mine in around two years.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I took my son about a year ago, he was 3 1/2 then.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 5:14 PM on Aug. 27, 2009