Was anyone in the bible mental ill?

ive had a mental illness... most of my life.. im nw feeling very alone and islolated.. plus im confused and to be frank kinda im kinda of angry with god.. why did he chose me to think with such an intense amt of emotion..why wont prayer heal the constant thinking.. over thinking. why if ive been praying for last decade to not feel this way has it not gotten any better.. i guess IN some ways it has gotten better.. but in others it has gotten worse.. for example i knw god doesnt like jeolously but i struggle with it all the time. i hate being social!. feel very guilty abt the peoples feelings i have hurt.. i dont know.. i just knw that if god has a plan.. what is his plan with the mentally ill.. was anyone in the bible mentally ill?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• How do you know Jesus wasnt? sure sounds like he could've been. with as many people who have contributed to the bible i find it difficult to believe that one of them WASNT mentally ill.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:06 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I don't know of anyone specifically to name to you, but I believe there probably were some minor characters in the bible who suffered from mental illness. You ask why God would inflict this upon you, but just because you are challenged with this disease, doesn't mean that God doesn't love you. The apostle Paul talked about "a thorn in his side" and it's never really explained what that it is, but it is believe to me a medical condition that made his life more difficult. He went on to preach the word of God to many many people and was a powerful instrument of God's to share the gospel with the world, in spite of his condition. I am sad that you are suffering. Have you worked with a doctor to find medication to help you feel better? I can't imagine what you are going through, but I've suffered with depression and through medication I've found relief. Perhaps there is a medical solution? more....
    mugsysmommy

Answer by mugsysmommy at 5:09 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Yes ppl in the bible were mentally ill! All the ppl who had "demons" cast out of them were really mentally ill. You see Jesus knew the ppl of that time could not understand mental illness or diseas so when he talks about casting out demons (the primitive biblical ppl could understand that) he was really curing a disease. God does have a plan for you he wants you to go see a doc and find a good therapist so you can live your life
    Bjoycassell

Answer by Bjoycassell at 5:10 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• His plan for you is the same for all of us. To seek Him with your heart and to follow His word. There will be relief in Heaven, and He will bless you for following Him. I hope you find the comfort that you seek. John 3:16

It's easy to blame God, but please try to seek Him. And please talk with a doctor. I hope it works for you. :)
    mugsysmommy

Answer by mugsysmommy at 5:12 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My Son is 9 and was diagnosed with Spinal Muscular Atrophy Type II when he was 24 months old. It is one of the most horrible things ever. He gets weaker and weaker every single day and there is nothing anyone can do for him. For many years I was mad at God and didn't understand how this could happen to a child. It's not fair, why him but then I think why anybody. I's a part of life, I just never thought it would be a part of mine or my childs. I have learned that it's not God's doing. And in the end we will understand hopefully why illness, sickness and heartache has to be a part of life.

Just be thankful that there are thing YOU can do to try and treat your condition, cause some people like my Son don't have a lot of options.
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 5:19 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I guess you could consider the man with the legions mentally ill and soon as the demons were cast out he came to his right mind.
    Mental illness is never from God. You can be miraculously healed from it. However that doesnt mean you cannot go the route of medicine and what not.
    Many who were mentally ill recieved healing from Jesus and became whole.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• You don't sound mentally ill, If you don't mind why do you think your mentally ill.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• Shaneagle, I was just thinking about the man with the legions of demons. You beat me to it! LOL.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 6:16 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I am so sorry that you are going though this. I am praying that the Lord brings you some relief and peace. There is a huge difference between demon possession and mental illness. The people in the Bible who had demons cast out were possessed, and not ill. There healing was spiritual.

People who have mental illness can be helped by medicine. People who are demon possessed cannot. It is wrong to assume it is just demonic, and not see a doctor. That is not to say that God can't heal you, because He can (sometimes He just uses a doctor).

Off the top of my head I remember that King Nebuchadnezzar was mentally ill. But the man of the Gadarenes (with the demons called Legion) was not; he was demon possessed. The demons begged Jesus to send them into the pigs -- mental illness is not being personified.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I agree with Cinnamonmom. But the bigger issue is getting treatment and getting your illness under control. I suffer with depression, and am medicated. Now I am not saying that is the path for you, but treatment is in no way a sign of lack of faith. God sometimes heals in miraculous ways but most times it is through more traditional ways. Mental illness is just that an illness, like diabetes, or the common cold. Get help with the mental issues and the faith/spiritual issues become easier to deal with.

Also know that there are a lot of people that care and will pray for you. Including me.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:06 PM on Aug. 27, 2009