cloth diapers

if you use cloth diapers, when you wash them do you bleach them too? my 18 month keeps getting a rash when i have him in cloth and if i switch to disposable it goes away but then comes back when i use the cloth again. i change him often ( i know you have to do it more often with cloth than with disposable) and use butt paste but it seems persistant. any ideas?

disheveled

Asked by disheveled at 5:15 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Can you dry them outside?

Answer by rkoloms at 6:02 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• What temperature are you washing them at? I find that I have to do a wash every so often at 90degrees. (Not sure if that translates well for you but I am from Uk). This usually gets rid of the problem.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 9:29 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• FYI 90 degreese C is about 194 degrees F. . .
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:15 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• you shouldnt use butt cream with cloth unless you use a liner. Also, have you tried stripping them? and what kind do you use? prefolds, pockets, AIOs, fitteds?
    jubes

Answer by jubes at 6:37 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• i dont have temp control on my washer, just hot hot, hot cold, or cold. i do use liners, and i use prefolds with g-diaper covers. i dont know what you mean by stripping? i just use regular laundry detergent with them and i wash them by themselves. i used to use charlies detergent but it didnt seem to clean them good enough, like i could still smell amonia from the pee so i just switched to all natural regular liquid detergent. and i use the dryer to dry them cuz it rains all the time in washington so air drying them is pretty much out of the question. thanks for all the help ladies!
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 11:34 PM on Aug. 28, 2009

• What is your washing routine? I use a homemade laundry powder with like a teaspoon of liquid detergent. I do a rinse, then long hot cycle, then another rinse. I have to use the dryer on most days, I live in washington too.
    Stripping means, well stripping any built up residue from the laundry detergent, stuff that might not have been rinsed out all the way. To strip them, you can use either a super hot wash, with prefolds you can boil them (just not the gdiaper covers). and you can use bleach with prefolds or vinegar (which is a safer, gentler alternative).
    Need anymore help...just let me know!
    jubes

Answer by jubes at 3:23 PM on Aug. 29, 2009

• Always do a double rinse. Dry them outside on the line if you can. I used baby powder (cornstarch) with my Bum Genuises since *technically* you shouldn't use diaper cream, and that really helped, too. Good luck!
    veggie_kitty

Answer by veggie_kitty at 10:55 PM on Aug. 29, 2009