when does life begin?

when does life begin? at conception when an egg is fertilized or when the embryo is implanted into the uterus? If my birthcontrol allowes an egg to be fertilized but not implant am I killing off a potential baby? please no bashing this is a real moral dilemma I am going threw

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Aug. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe life begins at conception (once sperm and egg meet) simply because the newly created being (embryo) has human DNA and a genetic blueprint that is completely independent from both sperm and egg.

Hormonal contraception does not always stop ovulation so does at times allow conception...but the embryo cannot attach properly to the uterine wall (because of the contraceptive hormones) so the embryo dies. Sometimes embryos do die naturally, but not because the woman directly caused it to do so.

If this is a real dilemna you are going through, it might be a good idea to visit: http://tcoyf.com/ You can get a feel for the book by reading chapter exerpts & the forums.

I didn't want to use ABC because of the abortifacent aspect, and learned NFP from the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility. We've used it for 10 years, succesfully achieved 3 children, successfully avoided between to space them. Our youngest is 4.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 7:40 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I believe it's when the egg is fertilized. I'm not against abortion for other women but I could NEVER do it. Just because that is what I believe - that I'd be killing my baby. AND my birth control? When I first got my IUD, I went through the same dilemma - where I figured that if an egg was getting fertilized but not implanted, that I was killing my baby. And I actually almost didn't get the IUD. I talked to my mom and she said that that probably happens more than we know - that even without birth control, it probably happens and it's just the way of life.
    Because the bottom line is: It's responsible to use birth control - especially if you can't afford a baby. There is no shame in using birth control and you gotta do what you gotta do. There is no telling how many eggs have been fertilized but not implanted that passed through our bodies. I just tell myself it's one of those things and move on. Hope I helped!
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 5:26 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• conception. This will be a hot topic so I will leave my answer as that. :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:30 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I think you just need to decide for yourself, I say it is conception. Just follow your heart. If you are concerned about it, I would look into other forms of birth control. ONLY you can decide, don't let anyone tell you other wise.

TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 5:44 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• I agree with Shaneagle. Conception,and this is a hot button issue. God tells us in His written word He knew us before He formed us in the womb. We are a person before we are ever conceived.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 5:45 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My opinion is conception.

As for birth control, its supposed to be quite rare (at least with the kind I'm on) for there even to be a fertilized egg to be rejected, as there are other things the BC does to try to prevent pregnancy, the first being to stop ovulation - no egg means no conception.

And it is true that its natural for women to naturally abort without even knowing it.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:50 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• The most recently compiled and acknowledged Characteristics of Life:
    Display organizational complexity, metabolize energy, homeostasis, capable (in general) of reproduction, grows and develops, uses DNA as source of inherited info, responds to internal & external stimuli, capable of adapting to environment

You can quibble over at what exact point all of these conditions are met in terms of minutes or hours, but they all exist within the first trimester.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:53 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• What is your definition of life?

Answer by rkoloms at 6:00 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• My own personal belief is that life begans with cell division, pregnancy begins with implantation, and sentience begins when the brain develops.

Ultimately I think you need to look at your own definitions of 'life' and go with your own conscience. I also think that a lot of people do not know that it's actually pretty common for an egg to be fertilized and not to implant, or to implant and fail to develop so early the woman never knows. I'm not saying this makes it ethically 'right' to interfere with implantation- I'm just saying that conception does not always equal implantation and pregnancy, even in nature. Go with your gut and what you find to be morally acceptable. Hope you find something you can live with and be comfortable with!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 6:05 PM on Aug. 27, 2009

• People tend to forget that many fertilized eggs still don't implant in the uterus and are flushed out with the regular uterus, so by the "conception" standards, our bodies are aborting babies left and right.

Personally, I consider it "life" after it becomes a fetus. I don't consider a zygote to be a life. I don't even really consider an embryo life. To me, it's truly just a mass of cells. That is all in the first trimester. After that, when it becomes a fetus, I consider it a life.

If you want to go by biblical terms, though, I believe it states in Leviticus 17:11 that "The life of the body is in the blood", which, taken literally would mean that life does not begin at conception, but begins 18 days later when the embryo is infused with blood.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Aug. 27, 2009